Post-processing options for stills?

willrmiller

I'm new to Houdini (and offline rendering in general), and come from a photography background.  I'm interested in using Houdini to make large renderings for print.  I'd like to know how best to post-process rendered stills out of Houdini.  I'm used to bringing a DNG from a camera into Lightroom or Photoshop and doing my color grading there.  I tried saving EXRs and using Photoshop, but the editing options are extremely limited.  Other applications like After Effects or Resolve are geared more toward grading video.  Any suggestions?

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Very late, but if your rendering out (multilayer?) exr's you will be able to access those in photoshop using exr.io, Natively photoshop doesn't know what to do with them. Now you mentioned that you editing options are limited this is likely  because your are rendering out 32 bit images, when you open files like that in Photoshop your work space is automatically set to 32 bit in this mode your options are quite limited. What you need to do is complete your large scale color adjustments in 32 bit and then reduce your bit depth back to 16 or even 8 bits at which point you will regain access to all your usual options.