How to make popaxisforce 'follow' the emitter

dfo

Hi gang,

I was just scratching my head over how to get my popaxisforce object to follow the emitter I want to affect with it.

It's basically a geo group that defines the emitter surface (jet engine thing) and shoots out particles behind it and I want the popaxis force to follow close behind to manipulate the particles.

I thought maybe object merge in the dop network would do the trick but it's doing some pretty weird stuff instead like creating a duplicate emitter that follows the jet's animation/xform but offset in time.

Any insight would be great, thanks!

jet_emitter_popaxisforce.hiplc

Edited by dfo
typo

26 minutes ago, dfo said:

Hi gang,

I was just scratching my head over how to get my popaxisforce object to follow the emitter I want to affect with it.

It's basically a geo group that defines the emitter surface (jet engine thing) and shoots out particles behind it and I want the popaxis force to follow close behind to manipulate the particles.

I thought maybe object merge in the dop network would do the trick but it's doing some pretty weird stuff instead like creating a duplicate emitter that follows the jet's animation/xform but offset in time.

Any insight would be great, thanks!

jet_emitter_popaxisforce.hiplc

Hi there!!

If you have the transform animations from the ship you can "Parameter Reference" those to the "Pop Axis Force"'s "Center Channel" and offset them a bit using adding or subtracting values. Then the force will follow the emitter or locator object. It would be my way of doing. Peace.

Hey I'd actually tried that at first but it fails as soon as the jet banks and rotates in any way.  Is there possibly a constraint solution for this?  Or maybe a small bone rig?

Thanks for your time!

Edited by dfo

Hey - I want the emitter to constantly be feeding into the force to help shape the particle flow as it comes out of the engines. So that means that as the jet banks and transforms etc the emitter and the force positions are constant relative to each other then relative to the jet's transforms.

In maya I'd just parent everything to some master jet rig null and bob's your uncle.  Where I'm confused is that there's DOP and SOP network contexts that I don't fully grasp yet, so aside from channel expressions (which I get) I'm baffled as to how to read the jet transforms in a way that mimics a typical maya master rig setup.