Smoke Confinement Setup

Atom

• I have a single primitive emitting smoke.
  • I also have a long tube in front of the primitive that I have created a density volume out of.
  • I have named the volume confinement.
  • Inside the DOP network, I have added a Gas Match Field and a Source Volume to reference the external confinement volume.
  • I populate the nodes to map density to confinement.

gas_confinement.gif.6c6dd15d6e8f0a1b4a8207ca51469018.gif

This point is placed along a circle. when I enable all the other points along the circle, the confinement seems to fail. Smoke no longer remains inside the tube.

gas_confinement_star.gif.66f5e4c9cb03e2135e543d775c8e515b.gif

Does anyone have experience setting up Gas Confinement?

I am trying to keep the smoke inside the confinement volume for all points along the circle.

SOLUTION FROM SESI: Increase Max Substeps to 2. This does make confinement work much better.

ap_smoke_emit_ring_012018.hipnc

Edited by Atom
  • Like 1

Here is another attempt to get smoke confinement working but it fails once again.

• I have disabled confinement on the smoke solver.
  • I have hollowed out the blue tubes and converted them into water tight VDB collision objects.
  • I have added a RED sphere to the end of the tubes and constructed a density volume from them. These are called the target field.
  • I  have added in nodes to gas match the target field and enable the target force to work.

The smoke, initially, has no velocity, so all movement is caused by attraction to the target force. The smoke moves in the general direction of the target, but the collision tube is not very effective.

Is there anyway to basically suck smoke through an invisible tube, keeping it entirely within the tube?

gas_confinement.gif

ap_smoke_emit_ring_012118.hipnc

Edited by Atom

In this revisions, I animate the red spheres along the length of the blue tubes in an attempt to "lure" the smoke into the collision tube. This does work but eventually the smoke passes through the collision wall. I have also added an enforce collision boundary node but it does not seem to have an effect.

gas_confinement.gif

In this setup I have changed the Gas Enforce Boundary velocity type from Rigid to Volume. I also added a 7% Gas Damp on the target. This seems to help quite a bit. The smoke is mostly staying where it is supposed to.

gas_confinement.gif

gas_confinement.gif

With Gas Enforce Boundary working I can disable the Gas Damp to restore a more smokey look.

gas_confinement.gif.f5c4efeb76936797a245b5509920d27e.gif

Edited by Atom
  • Like 3