Using Bend in Houdini

idiot4077

I need help with using the Bend feature in Houdini 16.5.

I need to be able to bend a tube or cylinder-like structure in a couple of places. I have never used Houdini or any other 3D modeling software before. I know absolutely nothing about 3D modeling or associated software. If anyone can describe how to do this, I would really appreciate it. I have spent many hours searching tutorials and videos, but none of them are specific enough or they are too advanced for my skill level.

Since I have no knowledge of how to model, please explain things as if you were trying to teach it to a monkey. Resources with extremely in depth tutorials for beginners is also appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Start with a curve. Click the curve tool from the 'create' tab at the top. Then click in the viewport to start creating a curve. Once you have something close to the shape you want (you can push and pull the individual points around by clicking on them and hitting 't') you can then append a 'polywire' operator to your curve. This will create a tube based on the shape of the curve you use as an input. You can increase the 'segments' and 'divisions' parameters to get a smoother tube. 

Enjoy! 

lay down a 'transform' sop. Hit tab and start typing transform. From here you can move you tube where you want. Then lay down a 'merge' sop. Plug the output of the transform AND the output of the node BEFORE the transform in to the merge. You should now have two tubes in different positions. 

I am somewhat new to Houdini too coming from Cinema 4D.  I've playing around with Houdini for about two months and I do suggest Rohan Dalvi's tutorial series. One can learn much from them. start with the basics then learn and expand from those.