Old School Methods

avak

Hello,

Is there a place that I can see and practice old-school methods and techniques,I mean mostly purely node base techniques or with old method of applying expression?,

the reason I am asking it is I see most of the time, and quite recent years, in most of tutorials and examples masters share, there are heavy using of point wrangle and math, which I am not good at them never and sometimes it is disappointing to watch them:P

I think I am brave to express this without shame :) and I believe for people coming from other software it also can be disappointing if not able to follow examples. so most probably I am not alone. 

I know it really needs a lot of study at math to be good in Houdini but there are also other parts in this software that can observe users of other software to Houdini.

Thanks

Edited by avak
spelling correction

But wrangle is the best node in Houdini, that and loops. I would really recommend taking the time to learn VEX and an applied knowledge of practical maths. You don't to have a perfect knowledge to be able to apply these in your work, but even just learning some basic stuff will help you get more out of Houdini.  There is a reason people use it a lot.

last time I looked...Houdini is node based...not code based.

would SESI say...well wrangle is the best, you can do anything with the wrangle...don't need anything else....here you go H17, code away coders, non-coders go and get stuffed...?

Not on your life they would do that.

Yes, start learning snippets and use common sense, that's what I say.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Noobini said:

last time I looked...Houdini is node based...not code based.

would SESI say...well wrangle is the best, you can do anything with the wrangle...don't need anything else....here you go H17, code away coders, non-coders go and get stuffed...?

Not on your life they would do that.

Yes, start learning snippets and use common sense, that's what I say.

Well no, obviously not.

And this is all just my opinion, but VEX and it's seamless integration is a large part of what makes Houdini so amazing. You can do just fine without touching it but you are ignoring a powerful tool.  You can do everything in VOPs I suppose, but it's easier to just write a few lines of code sometimes.

You don't need a computer science or a mathematics degree to start using it, I certainly don't have those. If you are already using Houdini you are using computational logic a lot of the time, so why not just learn some syntax. But again, totally up to you. Just an opinion from someone who didn't touch VEX at all to start with and now loves it.