Please allow me...

McNistor

... to tell you how to run your site. Seriously, I'm gonna tell you how you should run this forum now. Of course you can delete, modify, lock this thread or even ban my account, but no one can steal the first shot from me, hehehe :)

What's the worst that can happen from allowing a "disagreement thread" unfold? At best some arguments will be brought forth from which someone will learn something and at worst, nonconstructive back'n'forth replies, anyone can ignore. Is there a third possibility I'm not considering?

If you have reached this paragraph, it's probably because you've sensed my tongue-in-cheek tone and it's obvious that I'm actually pleading here instead of demanding, to please reconsider closing threads that haven't devolved into profanity, racism/sexism or plain nonsense.

I think there's a solid case to be constructed in favor for more talk rather than less.

Sincerely, me.

Getting stuff done means rolling up one's sleeves and doing the stuff to be done. Here, people talk about stuff, to be done or for other purposes. A forum is for talking first and for learning methods of stuff to be done, possibly. Arguing, if it's pointlessly or otherwise is a matter of perspective. Speaking of moderation, pointing me to other websites is rather rude or exclusive, don't you think? Not that I'd want you to be "moderated", but it's rather precious considering you're advocating for tight moderation, no?

I have to ask - do you know what historical significance "forum" has and what currently stands for?

Also, ironically, your reply has nothing to do with "stuff getting done".

It's also a multi-dimensional ironical mind fuck, because now it has also become a thread that's been usually a "good candidate" for locking, but I've argued that it shouldn't be and I'm hoping that it won't. If anything, it's a good platform for people to display their closely held beliefs.

I'm arguing, that you're arguing pointlessly that people shouldn't argue pointlessly. Don't you feel sorry that you've replied to this thread now?

Edited by McNistor

I recently posted in the General chat section, I made doubly sure it's in the General chat section. Got shut down pretty quick. Guess there's no chatting in the General chat section.

If I had made the mistake of posting it in some 'pro' section...who knows what hell would have broken loose.

It's alright, learnt my lesson, licking my wounds. Thankful got out alive. Might go back to just lurking.

Yes, but we're not in the category of "professionals that come here". We're... "something" that come here, because here, only professionals come and since we're not "professionals" I guess we don't come here. Or... I don't know, a false assertion somewhere got smuggled in or I have half a brain.

Your senses activated rightfully- it was your thread with Marty that I was having in mind. I think you've misunderstood Marty's intention, which in saying "he doesn't care" was to express detachment/objectivity regarding the issue, and you've taken offense as if it was an ad-hominem at play. Or maybe it was, I can't know for sure, only Marty can elucidate us, I don't want to put words in anyone's mouth.

If ad-hominem is the case, it is a justifiable cause for locking a thread as we don't want to just attack one another w/o also making a point, but that happening didn't allow for a resolve. That's the main issue. Often, a quarrel should be let to fully realize because the ending can go either way, but if we cut it short we're 100% sure to be alienating one another.

I can't see any benefit to the Houdini community at large in allowing slapfights between users to continue unmoderated. On-topic disagreements are one thing, but when people start getting heated and making things personal it doesn't do anyone any favors. This is a Houdini user's forum, not Facebook.

• Like 3

Usefulness of any forums for me is weighed in this philosophy:

The amount of energy necessary to refute bullshit is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it.

And whilst Odforce was quite unique years ago there are many many other avenues today that will help me achieve the unique vfx work I want to produce. 

5 hours ago, dyei nightmare said:

i dont know what the hell are you talking about, but i will hijack this thread and ask....  sesi needs to fix indirect illumination and second bounces in mantra,  fix render times and noise

What issue are you referring to with " indirect illumination and second bounces"?

Yes, speed wise, Mantra needs an improvement, but overall I think it's great.

Discussions are fine, as are opposing views. But once it starts getting heated and Ad Hominem attacks starting appearing, most often both sides will dig in and the discussion rarely goes anywhere useful after that. It's best just to shut down the discussion to reset it - often that results in heads cooling off, and people can try again if they like.

From my personal experience, but mainly from observation on huge forums where efficient moderation is a stillborn ambition, threads like you've described tend to cool off by themselves. Sometimes one or both simply lose interest, but other times, when they're both interested in finding out what the other's really saying, things make an U turn for the better. Of course, maybe this hasn't also been your experience. Either way, I've said my piece and now I take a bow and leave the scene. Cheers! ^_^

• 1 month later...

I know this is a bit late, but I missed this thread and felt like I should comment.

Firstly, this topic amuses me since I think I could count on two hands (maybe some toes) the amount of times we've had to lock threads in the 20 years this site has been running. So the assertion that we're trigger happy thread lockers is a bit of a stretch. Now it may be that some of the very small number of locked threads belonged to some people in this thread, and if that's true then I would suggest taking a look at your online etiquette and perhaps adjusting a few things. 

You should note that we have very few rules governing each forum, where most other forums on the internet have a laundry list of do's and don'ts for posting. The reason for that is that we have an amazing community of professionals who actually like to help each other produce great work. Healthy debates are certainly welcome, but personal attacks are not.

tl;dr: If the topic descends to the equivalent of "no, you!", "heck you!" etc, then it is looked at as a lockable entity. Don't want that to happen? Don't behave that way.

M

• Like 9