Lattice On Particles?

moonlightkiss

im creating a areally nifty fire effect and i need to taper my particles. ive tried everything i can think of, and ive come up with putting a lattice on the particles. i know u can do this is maya but i cant seem to get it to work in houdini. if this isnt possible does anyone have suggestions?

Use the Creep SOP to creep your particles onto a grid, then deform the grid to taper? Only works in 2 dimensions though, your Z scale wouldn't taper... oh well, just thought I'd throw that out there...

Here's some examples of how you could get the effect.  One uses metaball attractor to pull the particles together, another uses a collisions geo for the particles and the last one uses the normal directions of the geo to overwrite the velocity vector of the particles.

21697[/snapback]

NICE, Adam, thanks for putting that up! The attrib transfer trick is especially cool.

thanks adam, im totally going to try that. Luca, i wanted to post the hip file so you can get an idea. when u open it, you will see that the particles have a "finger" like effect, but i want to taper it and i cant seem to get a lattice to work on it. but yes, im giong to try some attractors and see if that can give me the effect.