Hey guys,

I'm relatively new to the awesomeness of Houdini.

I'm into destruction as an area of the effects field more than I'm into fluids etc.

I've a little school/hobby project I'd like to develop, but I'd like some pointers before I begin!!

I want to build a brick tunnel which will collapse. (the modelling shouldn't be difficult ;)). But I'm wondering more about the destruction side. Should I make a basic poly tube, halve it etc. Or should I make something that's procedurally created with bricks? I'm thinking of doing some kind of FEM sim, rather that voronoi, so I wondered how it's modelled would effect how it's simmed? 

I'm looking to build something like this:

I was thinking of applying a similar technique to this discussion:

Or is that just wasting time and resources and it's better off to simply texture it?

I'd love some ideas before I embark on it!!

Noobini, thanks once again!! 

What I meant by FEM and bricks is more would a simulation be effected if I modelled using this compared to having, say, a polygon tube? ie, is it more accurate to build something like what you've attached, or it doesn't matter?

not on a machine atm but in the bend, you can manipulate the capture length until it bends the whole length instead of leaving a straight section...ie. bend all the way and you get a tube

Actually, that's controlled by Bend on the CTRLS, so just dial it up, about 17, you get halfpipe, then simply mirror it in Y axis...that's the quickest method

Edited by Noobini

1 hour ago, AddyJ said:

How'd I wrap that around something like a Tube?

vector bbox = relbbox(0, @P);
@P.x = sin(@P.x * $PI * 2);
@P.z = bbox.y;
@P.y = cos(bbox.x * $PI * 2);

Also google for cartesian to cylindrical coordinates.