kev2

Time Machine compositing node example?

Anyone have a simple Time Machine node example? i think its a basic time warp but can't get it to work (also, I'm a newbie with Houdini's comp tools).

What Time Machine does is to select a frame from the first input's sequence based on the second input's image, on a per-pixel basis. Black maps to 0, White maps to +10 frames (by default), relative to the current frame. The easiest way to see the effect is by plugging an animation into the first input, and a ramp into the second input. Smaller values, like -2 and +2, tend to give more interesting results, especially when noise is used as the second input.

butterfly.jpg

• Thanks 1

Thanks, Mark. I like the tattered effect you achieved. It might make a nice decaying effect. Did you mean first input or second above for the animated sequence? Using an animated noise etc in the second with small frame values works pretty well. Attached an example if anyone needs a starting point. heartOverlayhip.hiplc

You can use animated sequences in either - but the current frame of the second sequence is the image that's used as the frame selection for images in the first.