Sabes

Individual sandgrains on surface // Need help

Hey friends,

I'm pretty new to Houdini but I'll try to ask you my question in a hopefully understandable way.

Can anyone tell me if my workflow is right or if I go the totally wrong way with my thoughts by challenging the task of placing different objects on a surface.
I want to achieve something like macro-shots of a beach/sand. Means I want to model different assets and scatter them on a surface with different rotations and scales. They also should not interact with eachother by obtaining a certain distance to each other. 

Things I have done so far: 

- procedually modelled 6 grain-assets (lowpoly, about 3k polys each)
- grid displaced in Y-axis with mountain
- scattered points on the surface 

My thought is to scatter 6 different seeds of points to the surface and give them different values of Cd and pscale. After this process I want to merge the points into one "point-container" and scatter instances of the lowpoly meshes at the diferrent color-locations. I heard something about the copy-stamp operations but I also heard that this is way more inefficent by using computer-performance than other solution. 

As far as I know Houdini offers pretty solid graintools. Is there any way to hook up my own grain-assets in this shelf-tools? I tried it for some while now and didn't achieved a solid workflow. Is it possible to make something like a thin layer of sand on a surface without interacting geometry, because I don't need them to be animated in the full space yet. 

Thanks,
Sebastian

Screen_Grid.PNG

Screen_Stone.PNG

Screen_Point-scatter.PNG