Floating Particles in Water?

LatestFatality

Hi there! I am currently a vfx student and very new to houdini! So far it's been tons of fun but I've come across a problem, basically I want to create particles like algae and dust floating in water, but I'm really unsure what the best way to go about it is. Originally I was just going to do a very basic particle sim with some currents going through...but that didn't really work out.

So, how do I approach this? Any little bit of help would be greatly appreciated! 

A particle sim is a totally fine way to solve this, but for something like brownian motion for particles in water, you could probably solve this procedurally by just adding some noise to your point positions. I'm attaching an example with both methods; in each case you're starting by converting a box into a volume, scattering a bunch of points into that volume, running your noise through the point positions (either by just adding in the procedural case, or by noise forces via a POP Wind DOP), then attaching a Sprite SOP to visualize the points. 

underwater_particles.hip

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

• 3 months later...