Sign in to follow this  
nicoladanese

missing reflections from fire

Hey

I'm having some troubles getting reflections of a pyro sim into a ground plane. everything was just fine, then I changed the sim starting from the shelf tool "candle", and for some reasons now I'm not getting any reflection whatsoever, I'm attaching my hip file, if you play through the fast sim and render a frame you will notice the ground is not reflecting the bright fire, and I'm not getting the reason...

cheers!

debug_refl_v001.hiplc

It's because you don't have a density volume. The candle shelftool doesn't use density at all in the simulation (no idea why its setup like that). 

awww you're right, if I display density there's nothing...do you have any idea how I can workaround it? I don't want to change the look of the flames though

There isn't supposed to be density in a candle simulation, unless you want visible smoke. The way the sim is set up by the shelf tool, it's not meant to emit any smoke.

I think the reflection issue is just one of angles and normals on a perfectly flat plane. If you use a Bend SOP to curve your grid into more of a curved cyc shape, the reflections work fine.

debug_refl_v002.hipnc

flames.png

both solutions worked perfectly! thanks guys

P.S. Colton your solution worked well but in my sim I was having a bit of density in render as well...