[SOLVED]ubuntu-restricted-extras?

Atom

I wondered if anyone has installed the restricted extras on Ubuntu? Mainly I am concerned with how these might affect Houdini operation. I don't want to break my working system at this point but I would like to get the additional codecs.

This commands is reported to install a bunch of extra things, like Flash, which I don't want.

sudo apt-get install ubuntu-restricted-extras

Is there a better command to get only the codecs portion of restricted extras?

Edited by Atom

I wouldn't guess it would affect Ubuntu at all (I feel like I used to install that package, but I can't recall for sure).

You can get a better idea of what it'll provide (since it's a meta-package) with apt-cache showpkg:

$ apt-cache showpkg ubuntu-restricted-extras
Package: ubuntu-restricted-extras
Versions: 
65 (/var/lib/apt/lists/archive.ubuntu.com_ubuntu_dists_xenial_multiverse_binary-amd64_Packages)
 Description Language: 
                 File: /var/lib/apt/lists/archive.ubuntu.com_ubuntu_dists_xenial_multiverse_binary-amd64_Packages
                  MD5: 5625deefba56f767d8e27098e82e3e9d
 Description Language: 
                 File: /var/lib/apt/lists/archive.ubuntu.com_ubuntu_dists_xenial_multiverse_binary-i386_Packages
 Description Language: en
                 File: /var/lib/apt/lists/archive.ubuntu.com_ubuntu_dists_xenial_multiverse_i18n_Translation-en

Reverse Depends: 
  ubuntu-restricted-extras:i386,ubuntu-restricted-extras
Dependencies: 
65 - ubuntu-restricted-addons (0 (null)) ttf-mscorefonts-installer (0 (null)) unrar (0 (null)) libavcodec-extra (0 (null)) ubuntu-restricted-extras:i386 (32 (null)) 
Provides: 
65 - 
Reverse Provides:

And if you look into ubuntu-restricted-addons, it lists more codecs:

$ apt-cache showpkg ubuntu-restricted-addons
Package: ubuntu-restricted-addons
Versions: 
23 (/var/lib/apt/lists/archive.ubuntu.com_ubuntu_dists_xenial_multiverse_binary-amd64_Packages)
 Description Language: 
                 File: /var/lib/apt/lists/archive.ubuntu.com_ubuntu_dists_xenial_multiverse_binary-amd64_Packages
                  MD5: d4aa4cd0f0f949dc257017988928544e
 Description Language: 
                 File: /var/lib/apt/lists/archive.ubuntu.com_ubuntu_dists_xenial_multiverse_binary-i386_Packages
 Description Language: en
                 File: /var/lib/apt/lists/archive.ubuntu.com_ubuntu_dists_xenial_multiverse_i18n_Translation-en

Reverse Depends: 
  ubuntu-restricted-extras,ubuntu-restricted-addons
  ubuntu-restricted-addons:i386,ubuntu-restricted-addons
Dependencies: 
23 - gstreamer1.0-plugins-ugly (0 (null)) flashplugin-installer (0 (null)) gstreamer1.0-plugins-bad (0 (null)) gstreamer1.0-libav (0 (null)) gstreamer1.0-fluendo-mp3 (0 (null)) chromium-codecs-ffmpeg-extra (0 (null)) oxideqt-codecs-extra (0 (null)) ubuntu-restricted-addons:i386 (32 (null)) 
Provides: 
23 - 
Reverse Provides:

So if you want to avoid non-codec stuff, you can just install the gstreamer and libavcodec packages. That'll leave out the rar, font, and flash packages.

Hope that helps!