How much memory do you use?

bobbybob

I am putting a new computer together. I am in doubt of how much memory I am going to use.

My current configuration is 2x GTX 1080ti and 64GB of ram. I am rendering all my stuff in Octane, and can therefore benefit of the two 1080ti's. But I don't know if 64GB ram is enough.

Are you guys, and girls often experiencing that your simulations is maxing out at least 64GB ram, when simulating stuff? The alternative, would be 128GB ram and only one 1080ti. (64GB ram cost about the same as a 1080ti)

I was pushing through 1 billion voxel sims with 64GB but I'm now looking at Eddie's much better memory management system as a solution to stop run away ram installations.  It has many bounding boxes with 6(pow)3 voxels in each that adhere to the simulation instead of single box as in houdini.

It depends what you do and what your goal is. I'd say start with 64gb and then buy more later if you need it. Less ram also forces you to learn how to be more efficient, as well, so it's not necessarily a bad thing. And if you need to ask if you need more you probably don't at this point.