Upgrade Houdini file from non commercial file to commercial version -- No more Orbolt Asset available? Why?

vinyvince

Upgrade Houdini file from non commercial file to commercial version... I guess very clear what it is supposed to do isn it?

Yes, its a really a pity, why isn it notpossible or you have to use so much tricks?
And what about people who start using a non commercial version and whoare switching after?

Such time lost indeed...

Looking forward your suggestion and opinion, cheers

bout.de.lune@gmail.com

I was Apprentice, then Indie. I think, that I was able to copypaste from my .HIPNC into my .HIPLC ... (maybe there was some signature in those .hipnc, that indicated I created them on the same machine/id?)

I cannot describe it more accurately, those are just old occasional situations that I had.

Edited by ikoon

You're completely missing the point. It's a licensing restriction. SESI doesn't want people using the Apprentice version or Indie version to do major commercial work. That's what the more expensive commercial versions are for. If it was easy to convert the file types then it would be easy to break the license agreements. It's supposed to be a pain in the ass and controlled by only a few so the licensing agreements can actually be enforced.

It's the same situation with the Orbolt assets too. If you buy the Indie version of the Orbolt asset it won't work in the commercial versions of Houdini. I think SESI will do a one time conversion of files (but probably not Orbolt assets) if a commercial version of Houdini was recently purchased. Other than that one time situation the different scene formats don't intermingle or convert.

• Like 1

Here is the
Houdini Apprentice HD to Houdini Indie Converter
https://www.orbolt.com/upgrade-houdini-files

It may help you. I did not test it as I don't want to waste one of limited times. So excuse me if it did not work for you.

EDIT: I needed it later and it worked fine.

Edited by ikoon
update
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 1 year later...

Someone on here helped me figure something out, but now I can't use my commercial project but add in their little helper file, it will make the project non-commercial. I get the licensing aspect, but this sucks for those who paid for license.

• 5 months later...

I have some similar problem.
I am working on a project sind a few weeks in houdini indie. Yesterday i was opening another file from the apprentice version to look into that for some hints that can help me with my actual project.
Houdini said that it now enters a non-commercial-session-mode, wich was fine, cause it was an apprentice project that i opened.
Then i reopened my actual project and worked there, i didn´t copy anything from other project in there, i have typed all in by hand and created all the nodes by my self. 
Today i wanted to open my project and i get the popup that says that houdini will open this project in non-commercial-session-mode, what the hell? 
Just by opening another non-commercial-project all my other proejcts are now non-commercial too? What´s that? How can i fix it? Makes me mad about it :( 

• 8 months later...