particle streams - point id

Screenglow VFX

Hi guys,

I need some help finding the best solution for copying some incandescent sphere on a particles stream:I have some pop points with 2 sec life and I want to copy some sphere on let's say 1% of the points.The sphere will be down scaled based on age attribute. The problem is that each frame I have different amounts of points and I need a solution to track the same 1% selected points through their lifespan.What would be the best approach? tks

sorry I did not see your post until now. Yeah that should be doable in sops as well.

If you are emitting from points in your popnet, you could have a chance value on each point that you are emitting from, and based on if that chance is true or false add that to a group. so if the chance is 1 that point goes into one group and if its 0 it goes into another group.

if you want to create it after your pop simulation, the first thing that comes to mind is run your points through a sop solver, , and when age < value assign it either one group or another based on a chance percentage. then everyframe check which group attrib it had in previous frame and maintain that value. 

there is probably simpler solution but this was the first thing that came up