tagosaku

add AOVs without unlock shader in matnetwork

Since new shading system matnetwork came out, do we a method to add AOVs without unlock a default shader, but can create it with combining a kind of layer-shader?

If this is possible, it's so easy to add AOVs and no need to unlock shader could save file size, too.

For instance, create a material builder and add AOVs like a particle RGB_mask in there, and create a sort of layer-combine shader, then connect the material builder shader and a principle shader into it, then output it to mantra.

combine shader.JPG

hi,

first of all, I'd suggest you creating your nodes inside materialbuilder VOP for convenient aov workflow. your workflow with layermix might work somehow, however it is definitely hijacking the functionality that was meant to be used for different purposes which is never a good thing.

second - I think you never have to unlock the shader to build aovs (at least I've never had to). you just wire them aside as bind_export VOPs. see the pic (aovs are the purple nodes).

aovs.thumb.jpg.5de5da8efa9823a73738dfb032f8e613.jpg

David,

>>creating your nodes inside materialbuilder VOP for convenient aov workflow.
Yes, that's what I plan to do.

>>second - I think you never have to unlock the shader to build aovs (at least I've never had to).
No. Create, for instance, principledshader, or pyroshader. It's locked. Then I wish to create AOVs not-inside of these shaders.

look at the picture I posted then. I've created principled shader and couple of aovs on side. no need to go inside the principled. that's exactly what you are looking for, isn't it? 

I guess you made those nodes and principleCORE in a material builder. In stead of your idea, I was trying to say to combine/mix existing shaders and AOVs under matnet level. Probably my logic won't work..

yeah I understand your intention but it's not really working that way. deploying nodes in root of a matnet is great for quick prototyping and exploring ideas, or if you just want a very simple shader consisting of a single Principled shader node. for anything more complex/custom you definitely want to wrap the stuff into material builder (which is also more efficient for render as it can be compiled before rendering).

David, thank you for the detail information and I also learned how to use principlecore node, instead of principle shader.:lol: