Noob question - ""A mis-match of attributes"

Hello all, noob question here:

I'm trying to follow along with the Steven Knipping tutorials (Rigids II - Structure Destruction). In video 4a he talks about adding primitive wrangles to re-name the points generated by packed geometry, while at the same time adding a variable inside that primitive wrangle to preserve the original name of those points (see the first image I've uploaded).

Problem is, I'm using my own setup / model to try and follow along. I can get that technique described above to work just fine for individual sub-sections (walls, floors, windows) of my building, as you see below ("name" and "name_orig" attributes working as they should).

However, as you can see in the second image, trying to apply this technique to the entire building, I'm still able to get new name attr's for all the pieces / fragments, but no original names ("name_orig" comes up blank).

Plus the error msg from the merge node just above, "A mis-match of attributes, etc." Most of what I've googled so far is along the lines of "It's just a warning, don't worry about it." But for these particular tutorials, I should probably see this issue handled before I continue. I've tried a few attribute wranglers, but they don't bring back the "name_orig" attr I need. What to do?

Hopefully I explained things somewhat clearly, tell me if you need more details before posting an answer. Thx in advance

keepingOriginalNames01.jpg

keepingOriginalNames02.jpg

well this is simple - you are trying to manipulate a "name" attribute after the merge, but not all the primitives coming into merge have the name attached. that is what the attribute mis-match warning is telling you - branches coming into the merge node don't have the same attributes. the mis-matched ones are even listed there: "name" and "path". that also answers the question why, for the most part, your "name_orig" comes up blank: simply there is no "name", so the result is "empty".

Edited by davpe