Volumesample with Noise

nuki

I am following this great talk by Saber Jlassi where he uses noises to distort a volume (around 7:30). I do understand that hes using the aanoise to change his lookup position for the worley noise, but I dont get how he proceeds from there. Volumesample requires a vector input and I dont get how he generates a meaningful position vector from the single float output by the worley noise.

volume_rock.hipnc

Edited by nuki

• 1 year later...
On 3/22/2018 at 5:43 PM, nuki said:

well, after further review it dawned on me that, since hes using a SDF, the worley noise can just be subtracted from the sdf values

I've been going down the same route you were trying to figure out how he pulled the rock noise off. Do you think you could elaborate a bit on this?

• 5 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 23/3/2018 at 1:43 AM, nuki said:

well, after further review it dawned on me that, since hes using a SDF, the worley noise can just be subtracted from the sdf values

hei nuki, sorry to bother you- did u figure it out? can you share your node setup? i can't understand what you mean by "the worley noise can just be subtracted from the sdf values"

thank you. have  a great day,

lorenzo

Edited by drøgö

• 1 month later...
On 1/21/2020 at 12:56 AM, drøgö said:

hei nuki, sorry to bother you- did u figure it out? can you share your node setup? i can't understand what you mean by "the worley noise can just be subtracted from the sdf values"

thank you. have  a great day,

lorenzo

@drøgö sorry for taking so long. What I meant was that, since SDF values just store the distance to the closest surface point, you can just subtract a fog volume from that SDF in order to dent it. Its scale dependant, but that could be compensated by using relbbox.