miccetro

Rigging a ribbon type setup (Rotation trouble)

Hello peeps, I'm trying to figure out something similar to some sort of ribbon setup in Houdini. Still, lots to do but right now I'm trying to work out rotations, I have twist working by itself such that if I twist the ribbon the bone rotates accordingly and bend working by itself as well, however, if I twist and bend the ribbon at the same time, the rotations become unstable. How can I fix this? Any help is much appreciated!!! Thanks.

ribbon_setup_test_01.hip

Edited by miccetro

So I've realized that the rivet object has some attributes to create a coordinate frame (see attached), so I've used the cross product to build one using normal of the ribbon. But I still have flipping created by the cross product. Is there a way to solve this? or could someone point me in a better direction to build a ribbon spine type setup in Houdini? Thanks.

ribbon_setup_test_03.hip

Another update on this. I Think I've found a setup that works using the sticky object on merged individual NURBS patches, maybe there is an easier way to set this up manually. But check out the attached file and feel free to give some feedback on this. Thanks. (You can turn persistent handles “ON” on the bones or dummy boxes to see axis handles)

ribbon_setup_test_04.hip

On 10/04/2018 at 3:06 AM, miccetro said:

Another update on this. I Think I've found a setup that works using the sticky object on merged individual NURBS patches, maybe there is an easier way to set this up manually. But check out the attached file and feel free to give some feedback on this. Thanks. (You can turn persistent handles “ON” on the bones or dummy boxes to see axis handles)

ribbon_setup_test_04.hip

I tried it but i don't which one is control, because only the null(controller) can move something.