Pyro smoke not colliding with object

angadrana

I have a missile and a rocket launcher, everything seems to work. The only problem is that the smoke generated by the missile emitter does not collide with the rocket launcher. I've tried making thick VDBs, adding a facet and pre-computing normals, using shelf tool for static object, set the collision to volume. I'm stuck. Please help me. I've attached the houdini file with the model below.

Houdini.zip

19 minutes ago, angadrana said:

I have a missile and a rocket launcher, everything seems to work. The only problem is that the smoke generated by the missile emitter does not collide with the rocket launcher. I've tried making thick VDBs, adding a facet and pre-computing normals, using shelf tool for static object, set the collision to volume. I'm stuck. Please help me. I've attached the houdini file with the model below.

Houdini.zip

Taking a a blind guess. Did you try reducing the division size of the collision? If you're using VDB's that should work.

Thank you so much StepbyStepVFX, it worked. Great showreel, btw!

Also, is there a way to cache the smoke at a higher division size than your computer can handle? Currently my division size of the smoke is 0.05 and my computer runs out of memory around frame 160.

I want to sim at 0.01 or below but my computer crashes around frame 30 at 0.03.

Specs -

Xeon E5-1620 v3

GTX 1080

64GB RAM

Houdini 16.5.323

8 hours ago, angadrana said:

Thank you so much StepbyStepVFX, it worked. Great showreel, btw!

Also, is there a way to cache the smoke at a higher division size than your computer can handle? Currently my division size of the smoke is 0.05 and my computer runs out of memory around frame 160.

I want to sim at 0.01 or below but my computer crashes around frame 30 at 0.03.

Specs -

Xeon E5-1620 v3

GTX 1080

64GB RAM

Houdini 16.5.323

You can try to split your domain of computation into various smaller containers (you can instance them, for example), to avoid having voxels that are useless.

Nevertheless, if your sim is definitely too big, and you need small voxel size, even after this optimization you may not have enough memory, then you would have to split your sim and sim parts of the sim one after another, but I don’t know how you would manage the overlapping areas of your sim to be sure you have continuous fields between them (temp, vel, density etc.).

Last but not least : I have tried the cloud rendering / sim services of GridMarkets and it works pretty well. You can try them for free, they offfer a few hours. And they have very muscled config to run sim/ render image although your 64 GB of RAM are already good. Maybe you need to split your domain of computation and run sims one after another :-)

Edited by StepbyStepVFX