Parent/Child relationships at SOP level with VOPS and MATRIX STUFF PROBLEM :(

Hi! This is like a mixture of rigging and effects. I'm trying to add some cool dynamic parenting behavior to a working system that I have (the inputs from the locked null) but I hit a wall and I can't figure out how to solve my problem with all the attribs that I have (I created custom attribs for the  Transforms). The problem is that I cant get the parenting to work with my current logic, I failed :( I used a dirty trick that gives me what I want but its just for that geometry with that size and distribution, so yeah its not really useful but at least it gave me a clue, but I'm still lost. Maybe some magician can help me out with this! Thanks! I'll share the file.

PolyTransforms_Problem.hip

God! Thank you so much, I couldn't sleep, this thing has haunted me for a whole day, this forum is awesome. I'm in debt, if for some reason you come to Peru I'll take you to a good place near the airport for a meal of some good ceviche and other peruvian flavors :)

Hi Tomas, I ordered a lot of things in my list and nodes in general so I'll decided to share the whole thing, the idea was to build a cool HDA from it and share but then problems emerged so you saved me a lot of headaches :) . Now the new little issue, if you check the file there is 1 single transform that doesn't follow (but it has parent) the pointNumber of it is "n-1", I already solved it with a dirty trick, all I had to do is rotate that single transform by the same amount (I used the point number and an if block to only rotate that point by the same angle value) But I can't understand why it is happening, I think I kinda understand your notes so maybe you can share some thoughts on that. tha parenting part of the system is in the red netbox. And again thanks Tomas you already did a lot. I haven't try a Scale Operation for the transforms, probable there is gonna be a few surprises, I'll try that tomorrow.

EDIT: I uploaded another File!

Edited by Ronald Ruiz
shared an old File

This thing don't leave me sleep!! I found a really useful demo file of an unfold system on vimeo https://vimeo.com/147216148 He uses a totally different approach for applying the transforms but I borrowed some of his code and cleaned up mine, I still have the same polygon that doesn't follow but now I have an attribute for controlling the angle per transform point. Really useful code :) So check this last file pleeeease.

PolyTransforms_packedPrims.hip

• Like 1

it's just because that piece has the same pivot as it's parent and it's oriented to the opposite way, so if you rotate the parent, it will follow, but it's own local rotation will cancel that perfectly so it will not move at all in the world space

Thank you, my brain is bigger now :) . Solved scale too, so now it's time to rest. I guess I have to make a special case for that scenario(the perfect cancel of rotations) I'll think about that tomorrow. 

Edited by Ronald Ruiz

12 hours ago, Ronald Ruiz said:

This thing don't leave me sleep!! I found a really useful demo file of an unfold system on vimeo https://vimeo.com/147216148 He uses a totally different approach for applying the transforms but I borrowed some of his code and cleaned up mine, I still have the same polygon that doesn't follow but now I have an attribute for controlling the angle per transform point. Really useful code :) So check this last file pleeeease.

Hey Ronald!!

Un gustaso ver tu archivo!! Haces muy buen uso de la aplicacion en temas de transformaciones!! Felicitaciones!!

Saludos desde Colombia!!

Alejandro

Gracias Alejandro! He revisado muuuuchos de los hilos en los que participaste y aprendí mucho de las demos compartidas, la comunidad de Houdini es genial! Vengo del 3ds Max y me estoy adaptando al Houdini desde hace varios meses(ya voy agarrandole maña) así que tus palabras de aliento ayudan mucho. Un par de retoques más al sistema y compartiré el file en otro hilo.

Saludos. :)

• Like 1

• 1 year later...
On 11/04/2018 at 10:13 PM, Ronald Ruiz said:

Hey, Ronald, I am wondering if you still have the example hip file available to upload it to let everyone dig more. Thanks.

• 2 months later...
On 23/12/2019 at 6:24 PM, jiejie said:

Hey, Ronald, I am wondering if you still have the example hip file available to upload it to let everyone dig more. Thanks.

Hi! Sorry I missed a lot of things, but I'm back. There is an updated file in the description of the video, hope it helps.

Edited by Ronald Ruiz