Editors group?  

14 members have voted

1. 1. Editors group?

• arg... the chafing!! Make it stop
    • mmm... the sweet smell of no spam!

Man: Morning!

Waitress: Morning!

Man: Well, what've you got?

Waitress: Well, there's egg and bacon; egg sausage and bacon; egg and spam; egg bacon and spam; egg bacon sausage and spam; spam bacon sausage and spam; spam egg spam spam bacon and spam; spam sausage spam spam bacon spam tomato and spam;

...and so it goes.

So you may, or (more likely) may not have noticed that our wiki got spammed again in the last few days. It seems as though all our attempts to thwart the delicious spam have failed so far.

We've looked into various options of stopping the vandalism of the site and so far have only come up with one solution, which I'd like to discuss with everyone.

Right now the wiki is open to everyone and, in theory, that's how it's meant to be. But with that comes a complete lack of control over who does what to it. We'd like to propose adding a group of editors to the wiki who would then be the only ones allowed to edit any pages on it.

It would be a fairly painles process to be upgraded to editor status, but it will require someone to ask one of the admins here to do it for them. Perhaps we could have a thread where people reply and ask to be added.

Anyway, what does everyone think of this plan? Does the lack of freedom chafe at your nethers, or do you find the sweet smell of a spam-free wiki a veritable garden of delights to your nostrils?

Ciao

Marc (and the rest of the odforce chaps)

But I thought there were good ways of only making real people create accounts on wikis? That's what all those weird graphics with text that you're supposed to type in are supposed to do.

22447[/snapback]

But that doesn't stop a real person from being an ass unfortuantely.

For a huge project like the wikipedia having editor only editing would never work...but for a smaller wiki it would should be fine.

Personally I'm all for a little loss of freedom if it saves the od[force] doods from some headaches.

Well you can never stop real people from being an ass... so we can't really worry about that :).

But as for the CAPTCHA (Completely Automated Public Turing Test to Tell Computers and Humans Apart). Well, it would require someone (me) to do alot of hacking on the wiki to make it work. And there's a few reasons why I wouldn't want to.

1. The wiki code sucks

2. I'm really busy

3. The wiki code sucks

4. The proposed way is easier

:).

M

But as you have to create a special account for the wiki isnt it so that those who spammed can be tracked down and blocked? If not then what's the purpose of registering with a valid e-mail atm?

Anyhow, I wouldn't mind being an editor, so far I have only added Batman Begins as a movie in production using houdini and Rising Sun Pictures as studio using houdini, I don't know too much about the industry as I'm not in it so I may not be very well informed about much but I do have an interest in it and I sometimes hear things others don't.

Actually you don't have to register with a valid email address at all at the moment. In fact, all it takes is adding a username and password and you're in. Very easy for a bot to do.

@Mark: Once you're a member of the group then you will have unfettered access to the whole wiki. I'll make everyone who's added something that's not spam a member to start off with. So you guys shouldn't need to do anything.

M