Nvidia 81.95 Drivers Bad

edward

go figure..I'm running 81.94, it took me a while before these worked. I went through bunch of them from 6xxx, 7xxx and now 8xxx versions before staying with these onse. Seems the drivers are very tempermental. One thing I learned is to make sure to properly uninstall old drivers before installing new onse. For me this was as follows

- reboot into safe mode with winxp

- uninstall drivers through the control panel

- run 'Driver Cleaner Pro' (it finds any files related to the driver and removes them; funny since there shouldnt be any as you've just uninstalled it hehe but there are)

- reboot into regular windows

- bypass any driver setup wizards that windows may pop up

- run the setup.exe for the drivers you want to install

- reboot when prompted after installation

Doing these got out the weird lockups I would get after installing fresh drivers. But with all that said it still took me forever to find onse that worked well for my system. Milage may vary as they say... :huh:

the Cleaner utility

http://www.drivercleaner.net/

different driver versions

www.guru3d.com

Ok, I tried exactly what you said AdamJ and no difference (after several million reboots :) ). Do you not see the CPU usage going bezerk in the Task Manager when just opening a default Houdini session? If you just open up a default Houdini, the CPU usage should stay at 0 unless you're doing something with it.

The problem exists in both 81.67 and 81.95 so chances are that it exists in 81.94 as well.

When I open a fresh houdini the cpu usage is pretty much at zero. Which card do you have? I have the BFG 6800GT. I read somewhere that the 8xxx series are not that great for the 'older' cards. :rolleyes: They are more for 7800 cards and SLI setups. My only suggestions would be to go back to 7xxx or 6xxx series. Funnily I was running the 6xxx series for the longest time without any problems. Then one day I decided to try the newer versions and was never able to get a stable system with the older onse anymore. It's all voodoo magic!

I read in the release notes that Nvidia has optimized its 81.xx drivers for Dual core processors (meaning they threaded at least portions of the driver, something that makes me shudder a bit). Perhaps you need an SMP system to see this problem. Are you using a single or dual processor system, AdamJ?

I have a dual-core Athlon and I still get the 100% CPU cooking. Athlons do not have hyperthreading. Perhaps the driver treats a single dual-core CPU differently than dual single-core CPU setup? (though I have no idea why they would do this..). Or perhaps it's an Athlon thing.

I'm running the 81.94 Nvidia drivers (WindowXP SP2).