Portfolio Review

deecue

Alrighty..

Well it's about that time for me to start shoving my way into the industry a little more so I'm gonna be sending out some portfolios in the next few weeks with hopes of an opportunity after the new year begins.. Since graduation a little while back, I've gotten some small shop experience under my belt but now I'm hoping to get in at a place (small or large) that will push and challenge me further. Obviously I'm striving for a houdini job with some particle/dynamics/procedural effects but before i start this whole application process, I wanted to get some feedback on my work from you all.

So here it is.. hate it, love it, just let me know. :) Also any employment info or heads up is always very much appreciated..

For you web type people out there:

http://www.nocturnal-illusions.com

For you direct-link type people (qt's are embedded in the page):

Technical Reel (process breakdown/procedural work):

http://www.nocturnal-illusions.com/movies/...hnical_Reel.mov

Artist Reel (montage of all work cut to music):

http://www.nocturnal-illusions.com/movies/...Artist_Reel.mov

On a side note, I'd like to just take a few lines to thank everybody here at odforce and over at sesi. You all have really built a great community that I feel very much a part of and your help with both technical and personal questions has pushed my work and knowledge past the point that any school could have given to me. So for that, I am entirely grateful.

Thanks for everything,

Dave

really nice work Dave...well done!

you've presented the procedural stuff very well - gives the viewer a good idea of not only your albilities but more importantly a sense of your understanding of the work.

I'm sure you'll have no trouble finding a place that would be glad to have you!

good luck :D

dave well done. i know youve been working on this a while and it shows - both reels look very polished. i especially like how in the technical reel the end product and the 'behind the scenes' all flows together. agreed the music is great did you commission someone to do it? all the best for the job hunt!

oh and the water spilling is so realistic!

wow everybody.. didn't expect such high remarks.. thanks for the compliments everyone.. :)

also thanks for noticing the presentation.. it was an interesting task to breakdown the technical process in a somewhat interesting/artistic way.. didn't know if i had pulled if off or not but seems like you all like it, so i guess it stays! :)

and since the music seems to interest a good number of you, both reels are songs done by Bobby McFerrin (for those of you who don't know him and watch Family Guy, there was a pretty funny clip of stewie watching him fall down a flight of stairs a couple weeks ago :lol:).. although it would have been cool, it wasn't commissioned.. the only piece i commissioned audio for was the love liza title sequence which has pieces cut in the artist reel and is on the website under individual works. For that I was lucky to have a friend studying music and he composed, played, and recorded the whole thing. (Piece got me a student BDA award too so thank you Jonny Bylsma!)..

once again, thanks for all the feedback everybody! B)

• 1 month later...

i think you might have the luck turned around there steven ;)

but i shall be joining forces with other brothers and sisters in arms against the Ant Bully! Ah yes, it is DNA that i shall be at and i'm totally stoked man..

seriously though, this should be an awesome experience for me and everyone i've spoken with there has been really really nice.. so yea, cool stuff and i'm sure i'll gain a ton from being there.. really looking forward to it. B)