How to pick up and hold things

musickent

I got the problem aobut animating a character to pick up a coffee cup and hold it in his hand.

What is the way to solve this problem? Changing parenting seems not possible to do in Houdini( i am not sure, but i cannot find a way in parenting).

Only change this cup's visibility? But, if the character, in animation, picks up many things in sequence. e.g. he picks up a book, then puts it down and picks up a pen so on, There will be many things invisible in his hand, that is not very good.

Please help!!

Thanks a lot !!! ;)

I used this approach in Maya, but it should work in Houdini as well. You create some tiny object (a point in Add Sop)

for example and parent your cup to it. Then your hand to that same object. Thus, if you animate the

hand by itself, the cup is not affected since the arm is the child. However, when you pick up the cup,

you drive the animation of the hand and the cup by this point, and when you want to put the cup down,

you just animate the cup, since it's a child, as well.

Hope that helps,

Luka

Just add a tiny thought here.

There are at least several ways to do that. One way is, of course, using the Obj. Blend. Another could involve CHOPs, still another can involve expressions, and yet another could involve VEX.

In Houdini, you can pick your choice of weapons to handle a single problem. There isn't strickly one way. :) Don't you just love it?? :)

hi,

at the OBJECT level type "tab" -> Filters -> blend.

connect the 2 different moving objects to the input and the output to your

coffee cup , than you get the possiblity to "switch" or "animate" all channels.

hope this helps :rolleyes: