Problems With Fish Eye Lens

Hi

Is there any way to combat some of the problems that are introduced when you start rendering with a curved lens in mantra? Problems such as models breaking up with SDS rendering or the appearance of shading anomalies.

Thanks. :)

24794[/snapback]

really sorry for trivialism, but what comes to my mind first is: stay away from such effects in rendering... I'm almost sure you know this but in case you don't...

Do you need this for some special reason? Can't you do it in 2D? Or just render 1 reference frame and then mimic its curvature in post?

Hmm, is it common to do the effect in post as opposed to in camera?

I don't really see any advantage to doing the effect in 2D as opposed to a working 3D lens. It doesn't seem to take any longer to render and there is no chance for downgrading of quality due to resizing of the image. Also keep in mind I'm using Apprentice so I don't have that much resolution to work with and the effect is quite pronounced.

post-37-1140175035_thumb.jpg

Apprentice is a good reason to do it in 3D :)

In normal case, as you know, lenses artifacts are the way to compose CG with reallife footage. You have much greater control on it in 2D.

As to downgrading image quality - this is of course essential - I've never met situation in which I wasn't have to apply some filter on CG element to match it to real camera picture. Always little blurry... Again, it's just a:

picture = mix(CG,Real) case.

cheers,

symek.

well it would depend on the shot.. i'm sure you could figure out the math behind your camera and apply it in some procedural way to your objects in the scene.. but i'm pretty sure you could get away with doing it to visual taste.. so as long as your camera is set and not moving too too much (fly throughs wouldn't work too well in this case obviously) and you knew what you were going for so just keep an eye on the final result while working and making adjustments.. i don't know if this is the best way to do it, but that's how i'd attempt it if it were me.. although figuring out how to do it procedurally does sure sound interesting now that i think about it.. :) maybe i'll give that a whirl one of these days when i have a moment..

The way I'm doing it at the moment is with the Lattice SOP. The control cage besically engulfs the small scene, but I take the back of it and move it waay back towards the horizon (after orienting the cage along the camera). Now I can deform the front of it (shape it from a grid into a bulged, circular shape). I copy the normals from the pre-deformed geo, and use the Rest SOP for any procedural patterns that I might want to use. It's working well so far, and you get a good deal of control.

Don't know how correct it is, but it's great for eyeballing.