Simple Umbrella Rig Help -Point and/or Object level (SOLVED)

Hello,

Getting really frustrated trying to implement a seemingly simple concept.  

Im trying to build a simplified umbrella rig.    There are only three parts- stem-- stretcher- rib- and - tube-- see picks.  

In my attached file, on a sop level, I cant find a mathematical way to keep "the stretcher" line objects to stay the same length, and have the anchor point on the tube move up and down the tube as the umbrella opens and closes.   (in the pics Ive attached you can see the issue).     Originally I thought that I could tie the perimeter attribute of the line to the carve position on object--basically retaining the perimeter --but I couldn't devise an expression relationship that works.  

I actually went and tried to do this on an object level using rigging tools and got even more frustrated- moreso because Ive never used the rigging tools in Houdini----.  

Bit frustrated here-- this seems like it really should be trivial.  

If anybody has a way to do this on a sop level Id appreciate the insight.  And if anyone could show me an example of how to get it to work with a simple IK rig you'd be my hero.  

Thanks all.  

Screen Shot 2018-04-25 at 4.42.41 PM.png

Screen Shot 2018-04-25 at 4.44.43 PM.png

Screen Shot 2018-04-25 at 4.40.12 PM.png

Screen Shot 2018-04-25 at 4.42.33 PM.png

Screen Shot 2018-04-25 at 4.44.36 PM.png

umbrella_rig.hipnc

Edited by JKeil

Thanks Noobini,  

Implementing your workflow now.  

I did a bit of a break down of the math that you did for my own sake--felt like it wouldnt hurt to put it here for anyone else.

snippet_1.thumb.PNG.89b51d4032828a8efd5b660f180f5026.PNGsnippet_2.thumb.PNG.1394b3f165502a6a1ac1d80d2a0bf8d6.PNGsnippet_3.thumb.PNG.0210dfe62194b094441bd00027fff91a.PNG

EDIT: opposite side is not the distance between pt3 and the origin, it is simply pt3s x value--its distance in the x axis only

snippet_4.thumb.PNG.5baee14f45072e3b7ecca5701fdf26f0.PNG

Edited by JKeil
  • Like 1