Control crowd source randomization

younglegend

Hello,

Widening my houdini knowledge and getting to know crowds here.

So I have an agent with multiple layers like, an agent holding a sword and shield, just a sword, holding nothing etc. with multiple running states. The crowd source randomizes everything which is great, but i have few running states where the shield and sword overlap because of the randomness. Is there a way to make a particular layer only use a particular state all the time? Or creating a new agent primitive for that is the only way to go? Thanks!

Edited by younglegend

1 hour ago, JP Shep said:

By layer I'm assuming you mean agent?  if so then yes there is, a user named Atom made a very useful tutorial for doing just that.

https://www.sidefx.com/tutorials/crowd-based-relay-race/

Thanks for sharing that interesting tutorial! But unfortunately it doesn't help my situation. By layer i meant different agent layers, In my case i have 3 agent layers sourcing from one agent. A layer holding a sword, a layer with shield and sword and a layer holding nothing.

Edited by younglegend

If you need more precise control over how each agent's layer is selected, I'd just use the VEX setagentcurrentlayer() function. The Attribute Randomize SOP has a mode that is similar to the Crowd Source SOP's options (the Custom Discrete mode with Type set to String), which might be useful for doing the actual randomizatoin

1 minute ago, cwhite said:

If you need more precise control over how each agent's layer is selected, I'd just use the VEX setagentcurrentlayer() function. The Attribute Randomize SOP has a mode that is similar to the Crowd Source SOP's options (the Custom Discrete mode with Type set to String), which might be useful for doing the actual randomizatoin

I should also mention - the input points to the Crowd Source SOP can have point attributes like state, agentcurrentlayer, etc that will override the Crowd Source SOP's parameters

• Thanks 1

20 hours ago, cwhite said:

I should also mention - the input points to the Crowd Source SOP can have point attributes like state, agentcurrentlayer, etc that will override the Crowd Source SOP's parameters

Oh yes, setagentcurrentlayer() and state is the one i'm looking for! Thank you!