Mirroring Weights

lisux

Hi all.

I have some geometry animated using capture weights regions, the rest of the geometry is simply parented to the bones.

My problem comes when I try to mirror all the skeleton and geometry.

All is mirrored well except the weights for the captured regions.

The mirrored captured geo is not affected by any bone, the capture regions in the mirrored bones are ok, but i need to manually use Capture Regions and select the mirrored geo, and mirrored bones to enable the capture regions in the new rig.

Any other having similar problems?

generally this is a bit tweaky even for users who have used it before.

i would recommend the following.

draw out all your bones.

capture all of your geometry you want to be deformed via the deformSOP

paint or edit the capture weights for one side.

do the mirror bit, typically i do this at sop level by droping down the sop and doing some of the work by hand. if you have your object view port with the secure selection off, you will get some click throughs at times with certain tools. you can do everything at sop level but you need to follow the naming convention for "bone and cregion" (in the from and to parameters) when you mirror weights at object level houdini will fill in those automagically.

or you can make sure secure selection is on at the object level and go through the process there. make sure to hit the button at the top left ( i can't remember what it says, but you will get a pop up paramter I think 'p' in the viewport will do the same) it will give you the controls you need in order to get the thing working.

the key is to capture all the geometry you want to deform via the deformSOP. This sets up the attributes and the autonaming business so the tool is informed on which bones should be swapped and where.

make sense?

-k

All is mirrored well except the weights for the captured regions.

The mirrored captured geo is not affected by any bone, the capture regions in the mirrored bones are ok, but i need to manually use Capture Regions and select the mirrored geo, and mirrored bones to enable the capture regions in the new rig.

25121[/snapback]

Are you sure it's not because the capture regions aren't being mirrored in the Capture Pose. ie. from top menu, choose Settings > Objects > Capture Pose. Are the mirrored cregions in the right place?

Someone logged a bug against the the Mirror tool.

Are you sure it's not because the capture regions aren't being mirrored in the Capture Pose. ie. from top menu, choose Settings > Objects > Capture Pose. Are the mirrored cregions in the right place?

Someone logged a bug against the the Mirror tool.

25162[/snapback]

Maybe it could be a problem with the Capture Pose, but i have quickly checked it and seems to be right.

Anyway when I made the mirror, the new bones have the capture regions correct, the deform SOP have the new bones correctly set, the only thing,i guess, i failing is that the capture attributes were wrong set.

I think so because if i use, inmediately after the mirror, Capture Geometry with the new bones and geo all are perfect, it is like if the capture attributes needs to be reset.