Linux And Ntfs

MG

I'd love to switch back to Linux and enjoy Houdini to the fullest extent with the best performance available for me, but I'm not quite so sure if that'll be a good idea. Mostly because, most of my drives are partitioned in the NTFS format.

I had Debian in mind, it being an old favorite of mine. But, would that be safe? Won't it damage anything? (I heard stories about writing onto NTFS partitions in/from Linux being risky). And, what kernels/Linux distributions offer the best - and safest - support for NTFS?

Thanks in advance!

• 1 month later...
I'd love to switch back to Linux and enjoy Houdini to the fullest extent with the best performance available for me, but I'm not quite so sure if that'll be a good idea. Mostly because, most of my drives are partitioned in the NTFS format.

I had Debian in mind, it being an old favorite of mine. But, would that be safe? Won't it damage anything? (I heard stories about writing onto NTFS partitions in/from Linux being risky). And, what kernels/Linux distributions offer the best - and safest - support for NTFS?

Thanks in advance!

25431[/snapback]

AFAIK, there is no safe version of NTFS writing regardless of who happened to compile the NTFS drivers for linux. IIRC, there's something odd with the NTFS file database that's easy to corrupt... if anything gets corrupted, the whole disk is bad.

I *have* written to NTFS partitions without issue, but I've since stopped...

If you have a lot of NTFS disks, your best bet is to put them on a windows machine & use samba to access them over the network.

FYI: there exist utilities, freely available, that allow you to read/write to/from ext2, ext3 and reiserfs from Windows, so if you reformat the disk to a linux readable file system, you can still use it in Windows.