Handles On Object Level Assets

Hi all,

I keep running into this problem and thought I would finally try and pin down why, but I'm stuck.

When I make an asset inside another asset and export handles to the top level one (like with a character rig) when I then go to use it everytime I click on the node all the handles turn themselves on. Which is fine if you only have one handle but if you have lots it's a nightmare. They even all turn themselves on just by creating a new instance of the node.

Now i've seen assets where this doesn't happen, and i've spoken to Calin at Sesi and he reckons that you just deselect everything before saving the asset and that fixes the problem, but I just can't make this work. :angry:

Has anyone else run across this and found a repeatable solution?

Here's a recorded example of what I mean

handles.mov

Ok I think I've found the answer. When I make assets I often put down the nodes then select them all and hit "shift C" to collapse them into a subnet which I can then turn into a digital asset. The problem seems to be doing this then taints the file.

It even messes up previously happy otls. Mucho weirdo :huh:

Well at least I know how to stop it even if I don't know why it does it. Beware the collapse into subnet option.

Actually it seems to be more than this. I can't make it work whatever I try. See the attached file, open it up, go into pose mode, make sure you turn off the select whole subnets option in the viewer, pick an object, it works fine. Now select the subnet in the network editor, all the handles come on.

At least they do for me.

Also notice that on subnet1 an additional handle turns on, this is a handle attached to a sop, selecting the object with the pose tool doesn't display that handle only the ones associated with objects. Is that right?

Does anyone know how to fix this?

HandlesTest.hipnc

but this is such an easy way of working.. i do the same.. create, select, collapse.. so it seems that it should work.. it just doesn't..

Have you tried this? I want to make sure it's not just me doing something wrong, can you confirm using collapse causes problems?

Have you tried this? I want to make sure it's not just me doing something wrong, can you confirm using collapse causes problems?

well, i would try and test this out if i could considering houdini crashes every time i create an hda from subnet at the obj level (works fine at sop level).. :unsure: i just now noticed this because I haven't created any tools for fun at home for a while now.. hmm.. is odd.. i'm also running a somewhat outdated build (8.0.412) so it could be something related to that..if i have any time at work tomorrow, i will try and test this out on H7..

Ok, I have an answer to this now. Here's the thing, for years I've been making sop level assets and to get handles on them you have to export the handle to the top of the assets. Well of course with object level ones you don't need to do it, the handles show up anyway. Doh! never crossed my mind that the work flow would be different. :lol:

Anyway I still think there is a problem with using collapse, but my other issues are solved.... hoorah!