No More H In A52 ???

Rafal123

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ignore that last anti british remark completely :P

It's a shame he sites the following reason for moving to Maya

Maya works very well as a shared-resource for allowing numerous people to work on the same shot or project in a very clean, concise way.

Like you can't in Houdini....

I assume the real reason is you stick with what you know and he knows Maya. Simple as.

what was even more dissapointing is that A52 switched to Maya after Hall, a guy from D2(!), came and brought a dozen of maya artists with him... Or was he fired from D2 and that was a kind of vendetta? Or is it a conspiracy of D2 to deviate A52 from the rightous path and get their share of commercials market? :lol:

:huh:

Sibarrick that's pretty much it.  I've seen it before.. software choice is based on what the supervisor is comfortable with and used in the past.

25827[/snapback]

Makes sense, I'm pretty sure I'd do the same thing given the chance only I'd switch everything from Maya to Houdini :rolleyes:

from practical point od view this makes no different, but form PR POV this looks bad. SESI should put out immediatly some material about CG house switching to Houdini :).

I've realy admired A52 for their previous works...

what was even more dissapointing is that A52 switched to Maya after Hall, a guy from D2(!), came and brought a dozen of maya artists with him...  Or was he fired from D2 and that was a kind of vendetta?  Or is it a conspiracy of D2 to deviate A52 from the rightous path and get their share of commercials market?  :lol:

25825[/snapback]

Heh heh. He harboured deep-seated jealousy for the mad skillz of the Houdini artists and sought to collapse the system from within. We discovered his plans on floppy disk we found under his pillow and gave the order to have him executed by a squad of shock troops. He was wily and fast and made his escape in a purple Mazda Miata.

Did Denis Gauthier leave?

I was telling Jason earlier today that it seems like this is a business plan that always works out well.

"We're a tremendously successful, award winning company... but I gots a brilliant idea... Let's hire a bunch of new guys, and throw out our old software and pipeline and see how that goes."

Seriously, I'm sure they'll be fine, but I don't understand why comapnies insist on throwing out what works for them when someone "who knows better" walks in the door. Why mess with success?

I find the article very strange. It sounds like an interview with someone who has played around with Houdini for a couple days but never used it enough to really grasp what it's all about. I can't see how that change over is going to work very well for them but I guess time will tell.

I think the "Maya works very well as a shared-resource for allowing numerous people to work on the same shot or project" statement is a slightly misleading phrase.

As far as I can tell, Mark Tobin moved everything to Maya because although Houdini also allows for numerous people to work on the same project, you cannot actually FIND numerous people to work in Houdini.

Running a small shop, if you have 3 guys, and you want to bid a job that will require 6 guys on the calendar, you will have to take a pass on the job. As far as I can tell, there are fewer than 3 houdini guys available on the freelance market on any given week.

I think the "Maya works very well as a shared-resource for allowing numerous people to work on the same shot or project" statement is a slightly misleading phrase.

As far as I can tell, Mark Tobin moved everything to Maya because although Houdini also allows for numerous people to work on the same project, you cannot actually FIND numerous people to work in Houdini.

Running a small shop, if you have 3 guys, and you want to bid a job that will require 6 guys on the calendar, you will have to take a pass on the job. As far as I can tell, there are fewer than 3 houdini guys available on the freelance market on any given week.

26036[/snapback]

This is what I thought when read the phrase, mentioning that Hall cam from D2 and brought a group of Maya artists with him. I can't imagine that it could be that "Hall came from D2 and brought a bunch of Houdini artists with him". That's too unlikely. Something out from this world.

There might be various bussines reasons for switching to another app. After all, they stated clearly: the new guy knows Maya, so let it be Maya.

But I don't understand why they volunteer to do bad publicity for Houdini, after years of succesfully using it for award winning works.

Now it's in VFX World: http://www.vfxworld.com/?atype=news&format=rss&id=16507

So OK, switch to whatever you want, but do your job and shut up.

Quote from the article <

on the other end of that shotgun, with A52 gone, there are even fewer places for those 3 houdini freelancers now. Lets face it, the best thing that could happen is if all the Houdini artists just up and quit their stable jobs and flooded the freelance market, insisting various small shops to adopt Houdini if they want to hire out of this incredible skilled pool of applicants...;)

do the world a favor and train someone up on Houdini.