How to emit dop objects?

Greetings all,

I am trying to figure out how to emit dynamic objects like particles. An example would be if I wanted to do a shell casing simulation, or something like in "Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs" when bead (fem or grain solid object) could be emitted from a plane in the sky. I think this is what they are doing in the bacon example in the grains masterclass, but that file is not provided in the course materials.

I have been toying with dops for a bit but I don't even know where to start with this. Would I use a multi solver?

Any help would be appreciated.

Cheers,
B

This is great! I love that site. It is like the unofficial bible for getting a deeper understanding of Houdini.  I have done a little more digging into this and it seems that each type of DOP object needs to be treated differently. Which in hind site make sense. Currently, I am looking at the Grain solver, specifically the solid grain object. 

I know I can make copies of the solid object in dops by putting an expression in the creation frame I think. What I am stuck on is, How do I make copies of the geometry that the grains should deform and then deform them with the pointDeform sop?  And again I am going back to that great bacon stacking sim they showed when they first added grains to the toolset.

it can be seen here: at 00:37

So many questions!!!

Thanks again.

Cheers,

B

Take a look at the bacon drop example file in the help. It is pretty much the same file they used in that demo you are talking about. It is a little older (still using the old foreach subnet) but, still relevant.