Recompute topology after projection on a plane

AntoineSfx

Say I project a platonic solid on a grid using ray.

How to remesh that set of points and edges so that the new topology matches the apparent (visual) one ?

It would be something like compute all the self intersections, divide all the edges that intersect each other, and recompute all the primitives.

Is there a node that already does that ?

Here is an example: the projected icosahedron still has the edges and points of the original icosahedron

I would like to have one primitive per apparent polygon, and one point at each edge intersection.

poly.png

Edited by AntoineSfx

4 hours ago, AntoineSfx said:

I edited the question.

I am not quite satisfied with my solution (resample heavily, Fuse where geo cross itself, and delete points that have less than 3 neighbours). This is a "dirty" trick...

It may not work if you project geo that is 2D, but for volumes each point has always 3 neighbours, and so its projection (except if you project perpendicular to a symmetry axis...).

Here is the file

vu_flatten_v2.hipnc

4 hours ago, StepbyStepVFX said:

I am not quite satisfied with my solution (resample heavily, Fuse where geo cross itself, and delete points that have less than 3 neighbours). This is a "dirty" trick...

It may not work if you project geo that is 2D, but for volumes each point has always 3 neighbours, and so its projection (except if you project perpendicular to a symmetry axis...).

Here is the file

vu_flatten_v2.hipnc

So this is not really working, the final assembly is not a set of non overlapping primitives.

Maybe something with the constraints in triangulate2d to force the edges location