Reconstruct combined objects

kiryha

Hello!

I need to recreate combined objects from Maya.
In this particular case — roads. So I delete all edges but the center line and build a curve on points. But I need to process this algorithm for each separate geometry piece, not the whole object and I don't know how to do it. 
Probably for each block will work here, but I don't know how to setup it...

ROADS.jpg

ROADS_001.hipnc

Despite the wire looks fine, if I use sweep SOP (which I planned to use for road construction) the problem with "convert line" becomes obvious:

convertLine.jpg

So I am thinking to return to the initial solution (inside for loop) and the tasks I need to solve are:
- how to get middle edge loop (now I get it without endpoints)
how to sort out points (they have messed numbers sometimes) in that loop

Edited by kiryha

Polyexpand will give one polygon, how to replicate the source topology? 
Also, how to unwrap UVs for such shapes if I wish to get NURBS style UVs (straight rectangular shape of UV instead of what i will get after planar projection)?

Edited by kiryha

want sweep ? here...go in and play with carve. I've made the road with a raised profile, you can of course use a simple flat line instead.

(You can add a convert after the polypath and convert it to NURBS curve if you want, you may want to do this to help UV...pls ask other experts around re: auto UVs...I don't know jack on this subject)

ROADS_Sweeper.hipnc

Road_Sweeper.jpg

Edited by Noobini
  • Like 1

poked around a bit with UV...it's a bit squishy...

(guess it's because the path is not 1 continuous fixed length path but made up of multi paths...there's probably a way to do it properly by dividing sub path lengths by grand total length...your turn to poke around)

ROADS_Sweeper_UV.hipnc

Edited by Noobini

Cool. A bit longer way that I could imagine at the beginning :)

What the purpose of Angle parameter in uvtexture node? It works not as you can expect from its name...
And if I understand correctly, you divide the length of each curve on a total length of all curves (32*arclen("../carve1",0,1,0)/detail("../attribpromote1","perimeter",0)).
It gives you a normalized length of each individual curve? And you use this value to scale U for each curve by the same amount?

And what the difference between BLAST, DELETE and DISSOLVE nodes?

And how to make Polyexpand outline with round ends?

polyExpand.thumb.PNG.ccb903f177687b7e8f01f05b424744f2.PNG

Edited by kiryha

in UV editor...the path goes as a flat line at the bottom...for the profile...if you don't turn it 90deg...it goes parallel to the path and so won't give you proper UV.....like you draw out a grid...one dimension is perpendicular to the other...

Old school Jeff says Blast is waaaaaaay faster than Delete coz it has less options (Delete allows things like expressions)..

Delete edges lead to holes, Dissolve edges tries to fill holes

The last picture is very rude...not touching that...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1