2 ocean foam questions

catchyid

hi,

I am using using ocean spectrum + ocean foam (solver mode), to sim ocean foam, however, I have two problems/questions:

1 - I want to produce foam near rocks and see shore(i.e. there rocks in the middle of the sea), what's the best way to do that? I have not tested it yet, but I think the right way is to use rocks/sea intersection points to instantiate ocean spectrum? but I am afraid it will look random waves rather than waves bouncing off rocks? 

2 - the foam particles are too jittery, i.e. the appear/disappear very fast? I've tried to lower draft to 0.01 to prevent particles from moving with the ocean, lowered min density to 0 so no particles would be killed, increased particles life to 2 seconds but all that did not help.

just an update if someone is reading! 

1-did not use intersection to instantiate waves! used distance from rocks to create particles then feed into foam solver

2-increased anti-aliasing samples in viewport to eliminate jittery behavior

• 1 year later...
On 5/17/2018 at 4:22 AM, catchyid said:

hi,

I am using using ocean spectrum + ocean foam (solver mode), to sim ocean foam, however, I have two problems/questions:

1 - I want to produce foam near rocks and see shore(i.e. there rocks in the middle of the sea), what's the best way to do that? I have not tested it yet, but I think the right way is to use rocks/sea intersection points to instantiate ocean spectrum? but I am afraid it will look random waves rather than waves bouncing off rocks? 

2 - the foam particles are too jittery, i.e. the appear/disappear very fast? I've tried to lower draft to 0.01 to prevent particles from moving with the ocean, lowered min density to 0 so no particles would be killed, increased particles life to 2 seconds but all that did not help.

You can try the following steps....

1. Create "SDF surface" and "velocity volume" of that specific are that you need interaction foam. With the Ocean Evaluate of course. And get the point Vel from the Evaluate Node. Make sure to put nice voxel res.
2. Use the Emitter Option instead of the Solver in the Ocean Foam SOP. Then adjust it accordingly. And then cache it.
3. Create a POPNet and use the Cached Foam as the Source and drop "Advect Volume" and use the "Velocity Volume" from Step 1.
4. Drop a POP VOP and call in the surface SDF from Step 1. And add VolumeSample and VolumeGradient node. Connect the samplepos and filename to the input1 for both the Volsample and VolGrad nodes(if you have connected the SDF to the first input in the VOP node). Multiply the VolGrad with VolSample and negate it. Add it to the Position and connect it to the Position Globals. This will make sure that points will sit on the surface of the ocean. This'll do the trick.
5. If you need and extra foam push away from each other. Add pop interact and emit another group of particles and add this group as affectors.(Havent tested it. But just a theory.)

Hope it helps. Also the Foam will collide with other objects.