Pyro Cluster Sim Issue

karanjaura

Hi guys

I made this pyro cluster setup based on the technique showed by Atom in one of his tutorials.

The problem I am facing is that the Vel Volumes are not getting transferred in the DOP.

Any idea where the issue is ?

Thanks a lot for your help.Cheers

pyroClusterRnD_v01_ODFORCE.hip

1 hour ago, bunker said:

DOP's source volume only takes vel vector fileds for velocity, your fields are named vel_0, vel_1, ...
if you're trying to source multiple vel volumes at the same time, you'll need some custom sourcing.

So you mean we can't pump velocities like that for cluster sims ?Then what would be the right approach to handle a situation like this ?

Would really appreciate if anyone can guide me on that. 

if you convert your vel volumes to VDB (convertvdb+vdbvectormerge)
you can access the volume data by name directly in a gasfieldwrangle inside DOPs, and add them all within a loop:

// add all VDB velocity volumes to vel
int clusters = 10;
for(int i=0;i<clusters;i++){
    v@vel += volumesamplev(0,"vel_"+itoa(i),@P);
}

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, bunker said:

if you convert your vel volumes to VDB (convertvdb+vdbvectormerge)
you can access the volume data by name directly in a gasfieldwrangle inside DOPs, and add them all within a loop:

// add all VDB velocity volumes to vel
int clusters = 10;
for(int i=0;i<clusters;i++){
    v@vel += volumesamplev(0,"vel_"+itoa(i),@P);
}

Thanks a lot Julien for your help.

I will try it out now.Cheers!!

On 5/18/2018 at 3:06 PM, karanjaura said:

Thanks a lot Julien for your help.

I will try it out now.Cheers!!

Hi Julien

I tried the way you suggested but still the velocities are not getting pumped,not sure what I am doing wrong :(

Would really appreciate if you could point out my mistake :)(pyroCluster_RnD_v02)

on the other hand a friend of mine suggested me another way to make the same setup and the velocities are getting pumped perfectly fine in that :)(pyroClusterRnD_Optn02)

Cheers

pyroClusterRnD_v02_ODFORCE.hipnc

pyroClusterRnD_Optn02_ODFORCE.hipnc

The group in the convertVDB is incorrect. it should be @name=vel_*, same for the VDB vector merge (you can leave this one as default). In the gasfield wrangle, you need to specify an input 0 since it's used by the volumesamplev(0,...)
pyroClusterRnD_v03_ODFORCE.hipnc

Also, the whole point of clustering is to save simulation time or RAM by running each cluster on separate machines or one after the other on one machine. If you run all the clusters on one machine at the same time, you're just wasting time and RAM.

Edited by bunker

26 minutes ago, bunker said:

The group in the convertVDB is incorrect. it should be @name=vel_*, same for the VDB vector merge (you can leave this one as default). In the gasfield wrangle, you need to specify an input 0 since it's used by the volumesamplev(0,...)
pyroClusterRnD_v03_ODFORCE.hipnc

Also, the whole point of clustering is to save simulation time or RAM by running each cluster on separate machines or one after the other on one machine. If you run all the clusters on one machine at the same time, you're just wasting time and RAM.

Hey Julien

Thanks a lot for your support :),I still need to learn many things from people like you, as I am still a newbie in the world of Houdini.

cheers