Collision Problem: RBD Objects from Animating Source

Justin K

Hey all, 

Im having some issues with object interaction.  Im trying to get some spheres emitted from a particle sim to interact with cloth as either a static or rbd object (see pic).   

I have encountered problems with both methods.    The static object approach  errors out because the geometry is changing on a per frame basis- each frame has a changing number of spheres.  Because  the particle sim was run over the frame range, the number of primitives copied to the pts is changing each frame--this causes the static object to error out (see pic)

On the flip side the RBD object technique doesnt work-- because I cant import animating geometry at all (or perhaps I just dont know how--there seems to be some stuff on the sidefx thread-- but im not sure it applies here? https://www.sidefx.com/forum/topic/30392/ ).    Overall Im getting the impression that animation on backed objects is intended to happen within the solver itself, not beforehand.  

Any suggestions for how to accomodate this?  

I would like to keep the rain sim separate from the cloth work if possible, but cant find a workaround for the above issue. 

As far as due diligence I have looked at alternative stuff on the grain solver side (Johnny farmfield stuff) and have tried working with active and deforming attributes to get a solution, but no luck.  Ive simplified the scene and kept only the basic stuff.

Thanks in advance for any help

RBD_from_particles.hiplc

Screen Shot 2018-05-22 at 6.55.54 PM.png

Edited by JKeil