fur sim issues

jerk001

hi guys,  i,ve recently ported from maya over to houdini

been playing with the amazing fur tools and  trying to simulate some fur.

but my sim is too stiff ,, i,ve tried reducing the spatial scale but to lill or no effect.  any ideas how to fix this guys 

thnx

ezgif-4-9eb0a15617.gif

ezgif-4-e53f0d5751.gif

Stiffness generally comes from the Elasticity tab in in the Wire Object.

Play about with the Angular Spring Constant and Angular Damping Constant.

Edit* These are called Bend Spring and Bend Damping in the Guide Simulate. 

You can also create attributes on the curves before the sim to help define the shape, kangular, width ect 

Definitely look at the Wire Object section within the Houdini Help sheet, gives you some useful info on exactly what you're talking about.

Edited by johnsonmax
  • Like 1

There's a number of things you can do, but I don't know what your values are, so I'll just include some tips. Have target stiffness and target damping at 0 if you are using them. As you increase the linear spring constant to really high values 10000-1000000, track how much it effects your sim. While this is supposed to prevent stretching, it feels like when the values are high enough and the stretching is completely stopped, then the velocity is transferred to the movement of the hairs. Play with the hair mass. Make it a higher value (1000+), to get more movement out of your hairs. Also, self collisions may help as well. Then don't forget to add a little drag.

• Like 1