Automatically Hiding Manipulator Handles

DeeLan

Hey everyone,

I'm building an asset and I have two questions regarding handles.
Firstly (and most importantly) I need to know how to enable and disable different manipulator handles using a conditional expression. I have a primary transform handle that allows me to affect everything. However I'd like to be able to switch to a different handle that only allows partial manipulation of the transforms depending on a drop down menu. So if I change the menu to "Plane" for example, the primary handle is disabled and hidden, and different handle that allows manipulation of ONLY translation and rotation is enabled. I'm not sure how to do this. I tried some constant expressions (like '!0') in both the 'onoff' and 'input' fields, but those didn't actually seem to do anything. 

EDIT: I've figured out that the easiest way to enable or disable input of a manipulator handle is to create a checkbox parameter, bind the 'onoff' field of the handle (oddly tho not the 'input' field) to that checkbox and then just add an expression to the checkbox to get the behaviour I want. While this works for enabling and disabling input, it DOES NOT affect viability at all. Anyways around this?

Secondly, is it possible to reference fields from the parameter window in the handles window. On a couple of my parameters I've got limits on the ranges, so I was hoping to be able to reference those limits in the handle instead of manually updating it every time I change the limit in the parameter window. Not super important but just curious about it.

parmInterfaceToHandle.jpg

Edited by DeeLan
Updating Question

Create all of the parameters you want.  Then use the "disable when" and "hide when" parameters to hide or disable when as desired.  Place an expression each of these parameters using the following format.   { parameter_you_depend_on == 0}  

Hi Benne,

Thanks for the advice. However the problem I'm having isn't with the parameters but the manipulator handle itself. I've updated my original question to reflect the progress I've made, but I guess the short version is that I need a way of hiding the actual manipulator handle based on a certain parameter (so exactly the same behaviour as "hide when", but on a manipulator instead of a parameter)