MOPs: Motion Graphics Operators for Houdini

@Noobini I found the bug; it's in Apply Attributes. It's incorrectly combining the existing group mask (group1) with `@mops_falloff>0` via a Python script, and it was doing it with bad syntax to boot.  If you disable "Ignore zero falloff prims" it will work in the meantime. I'll have this fixed in the next build.

• Like 1

On 6/16/2018 at 4:42 PM, dyei nightmare said:

yes i think the same...  lazyness,  and i dont want this software becoming a sort of C4D or 3max (oh the horror),  only because some people is lazy to learn the hard way,  yes its hard,  yes is a mistery to learn this,  and is so complex to do a simple sunset scene,   but thats why im love with this software :P 

I hope you are saying this tongue in cheek.  so what tools are made to make life easier? so what it brings in new blood because of those tools.  but if your only argument to not have such tools is to keep Houdini "complex" and keep the uninitiated away then close Houdini off to new users r at least until they pass muster by passing a complex VEX quiz.  a regressive way of thinking.

22 hours ago, bobc4d said:

I hope you are saying this tongue in cheek.  so what tools are made to make life easier? so what it brings in new blood because of those tools.  but if your only argument to not have such tools is to keep Houdini "complex" and keep the uninitiated away then close Houdini off to new users r at least until they pass muster by passing a complex VEX quiz.  a regressive way of thinking.

no,  is not to keep houdini complex,  there is an apropiate answer for this that fits your tool-logic,  but there is no point on this conversation :P:P:P  

Edited by dyei nightmare
  • Downvote 1

Houdini getting easier, more accessible is a matter of time, so those that feel the need to protect their jobs I would suggest to look at both ends of the spectrum, either you bring some truly serious maths and engineering skills to the party or you bring some serious good flair and taste.

Don't fight gravity... you will loose.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, jordibares said:

Houdini getting easier, more accessible is a matter of time, so those that feel the need to protect their jobs I would suggest to look at both ends of the spectrum, either you bring some truly serious maths and engineering skills to the party or you bring some serious good flair and taste.

Don't fight gravity... you will loose.

yes,  houdini has become more artist friendly,  and thats not bad,  but i thought that the main target of side fx were the companies that are working on vfx, but dont want to spend a lot of money on software developers or creating new inhouse software.  but anyway this is a topic for other thread, i mean,  the wrangle nodes system is wonderfull and dynamic,  but,  i dont understand why sesi are putting more effort on modeling department instead of making a faster mantra renderer and less noisy.   

Edited by dyei nightmare

3 hours ago, dyei nightmare said:

yes,  houdini has become more artist friendly,  and thats not bad,  but i thought that the main target of side fx were the companies that are working on vfx, but dont want to spend a lot of money on software developers or creating new inhouse software.  but anyway this is a topic for other thread, i mean,  the wrangle nodes system is wonderfull and dynamic,  but,  i dont understand why sesi are putting more effort on modeling department instead of making a faster mantra renderer and less noisy.   

We can't do both? :)

• Like 1

On 6/29/2018 at 5:19 AM, dyei nightmare said:

I dont understand why sesi are putting more effort on modeling department instead of making a faster mantra renderer and less noisy.   

Why should SESI invest any more resources into faster rendering when there are already fantastic solutions like Redshift, Octane and Arnold available?

• 2 weeks later...

We've made a few incremental upgrades to MOPs, but the next big feature addition (uploaded just now) is support for instancing sequences. Currently you can load either Alembics or bgeo files as packed disk sequences, and there's full support for frame cycling and individually addressable frame selection via expressions or point attributes. Details are in the Instancer documentation.

• Like 4

On 01/07/2018 at 3:06 AM, Midphase said:

Why should SESI invest any more resources into faster rendering when there are already fantastic solutions like Redshift, Octane and Arnold available?

IMHO SESI needs to invest on both areas (and others as well). Houdini needs a great modeller and a great render engine that fully takes advantage of the architecture in Houdini. None of those render engines do.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

New updates!

A quick list of what's new:

• Automatic update feature for easy future updates!
  • New "Spread Falloff" for growing, crawling effects!
  • spread_falloff_01.hip example file included.
  • Instancer now automatically uses relative paths.
  • Quick Add function in Instancer to add all your objects at once!
  • Instancer now supports scatter density attribute when scattering on meshes.
  • Instancer now supports different merge types ("Into This Object", etc).
  • Falloff Preview now shows points only to prevent crashing.
  • Disable Preview shelf tool turns off all Falloff previews for the entire current SOP chain.
  • Lag and Area added to Audio Falloff.
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

MOPs v0.1.9 is released! This wraps up a bunch of improvements from prior Experimental builds after v0.1.3:

-MOPs Instancer now has an ID Offset control. Some unneeded point attributes have been removed.
-Falloff preview now displays sprites. Sprites should generally reflect the approximate scale of instances. This feature will be replaced once Houdini's viewport crash bug is patched.
-The Spring Modifier now correctly ignores attributes that are not checked.
-The MOPs to Point Instances shelf tool now works with Houdini 17.0.
-The MOPs Update shelf tool now works properly on OSX/Linux.
-MOPs Move Along Spline has slightly more predictable rotations.
-The example files have all been updated to work with the latest version of MOPs, especially the new Falloff Preview model.

https://github.com/toadstorm/MOPS/releases/tag/v0.1.9

• Like 2