Procedural damage to 1,000s of containers

Hi all,
I am completely new to Houdini, I knew what it is capable of but I have no idea how to start my little project.
A few guys at work need a lot of damaged containers and they asked me if I knew of a method to make them procedurally. I thought of Houdini, ofcourse. I have 3d models of containers, but no idea how to start damaging container, I would guess some cloth-fx set to simulate metal? And then make some random( procedural) shapes to collide with the containers? Or is there a better method?
Let me know to do to this, thanks in advance.

Rob

You do not need a simulated solution,  also if there are 1000 containers that would be a poor choice. Make a mask that isolates damaged area. For example a scattered point + attribute transfer and attribute blur for a falloff. Then displace point position by inverse normal + noise * that mask. If your new this may be unfamiliar though.. 

Edited by Yon

to automate this over x containers is outside the scope of this but look into using a wedge rop, it is not hard
this doesn't support collisions as it is procedural, if your really tasked with collisions on 1000 containers with external anim that is a big effect and not a easy to avoid the cost.
but it can be done with spring to glue constraints and point deform.  A cheap sops collisions could be multiplying invertnormal you will find by distance to collision object. 

Damage.hip

damage.png

Thanks a lot James.
I will have to study to find out how you did this but I think it pretty much what I want.
I also think a full simulation would be too much, but if you can fake it :)
I just need 1000's of containers, but each one with different damage. No need for a animation with 1000's of containers.
Just 1000's of sideviews showing damage. ( I work in a crazy business )
I will let you know how it went ( could take a while)

Cheers and thanks again,

Rob