hair!!

betty

control? what's that?

this is my first attempt at hair and in very early stages. so haven't gotten to control just yet. and i only tried one method. unfortunately i've been tied up and will be for the next two to three weeks and then i'll get back to it.

they are all nurbs curves. i then took then into POPs and turned them to softbodies. attached forces, main one being wind as i was going for a hair blowing in the wind type of effect. i also animated the sphere the hairs are attached to see how shaking ones head will look along with testing collisions. i was very suprised at how well it came out. the animation really suprised me. it looks pretty damn good - especially as i don't really know what i'm doing.

i'm sure there are other ways which could be better especially for control, like i said didn't even go into this. looking forward to it. i want to a demo and feature hair and have looked at xsi and came away thinking hair and mental ray. but don't like anything else i saw. so it got me to try it in houdini. any houdini hair stylists with some tips would be cool.

also thinking of doing hair in an anime type of look, which i think should be kinda simple with blendSOP or springCHOP....but that's another thing altogether.

b

looks great betty, i think youre on the right track when assuming CHOPs for this. perhaps, bounding boxs can represent different *effect* areas...just control the bounding boxs through chops. of course it is easy in theory, we never run into problems....ever! :)

looks awesome betty! love the lighting...

ok, just thking out loud here...

I'm just curious about one thing....using softbodies in any software causes whatever geometry to get deformed in every which way, because the simulation pops down linear springs and that's not necessarily how stuff reacts, in short: it's hard for hair to conserve its length...you got strands stretching and acting "springy"...

so I usually pop down a resample SOP right before the end of the network and using both the "no. of points" and "segment length" constraint...more control for the masses, and you get all the sway without the stretch...downside is: all your strands would be the same length...

you could preserve the length of every hair into a prim attribute before animating, and then resample evey separate curve to its original length using the embedded attribute...

ok...end of rant....carry on everyone :)

cheers!

PS: you got second vote for seeing the animation...

i am glad you guys liked it, and even though it is nice i feel like there is a long way to go for control.

sirogi, - yeah the stretching, that is some useful information, thanks heaps for the insight. i will get to this in a couple of weeks and post the results.

l set it to have minimal strectching, but this would be an issue so will chase up your suggestions. but i have a feeling the biggest problem will be getting a hairstyle up and controlling that. to avoid the stretching problem i think the next one will be done in SOPs and CHOPs. though i think this would be better for less realistic animation. say if you are doing a more toon like look, then i think this would be best. and actually i doubt i would even use hairs, but i would probably model the hair as one large piece of geometry.......but yeah, i will come back to this soon and post results so it would be interesting to see what comes.

thanks again for the advice

mike - yep, i was think about different "effect areas", i was simply thinking of grouping the points on the curve. so the points which are the farthest from the head will be in the group which will get more "spring". i think this should work out well, but like you say it is only in theory stages so far. eager to get to this. quite excited as i am finally slowly understanding how houdini works....

betty,

animated gif will hoepfully arrive...soonish...thanks to a friend as i don't know how to get one together!

i was simply thinking of grouping the points on the curve. so the points which are the farthest from the head will be in the group which will get more "spring"

for that check out the point attribute called "$springK" in the point SOP...can't remember if it works with softbodies, but it's essentially what you're looking for....works well with the spring SOP...all you have to do is play with putting decreasing values from bottom to tip and there! varying stiffness...

cheers!

animated gif will hoepfully arrive...soonish...thanks to a friend as i don't know how to get one together!

If you can figure out how to make such good looking hair, I think an animated gif is well within your grasp!

Looking good, betty! I like how the hairs are quick think - it gives them a hyper-real quality. Now we could all chorus for "deep shadows"..

Can't wait to see the next image B)

• 3 weeks later...

had some time to take another look at the original hair and i must say the softbodies approach just adds too much stretching. i didn't realise how much it was because i guess i wasn't looking for it and paying too much attention to other things. anyway i am now thinking the blendSOP with poses set up with expressions within the pointSOP and modeled states with the combSOP. and then maybe using expressions to do the transitions for a fluent effect.

haven't tried this yet....

btw, i was playing last night and came up with this, kinda hairy........no?

post-21-1038830893.jpg