Detecting Particle Color?

plan9

greetings!

i need to detect random particle color values (RGB) as they collide with an object.. this in turn will trigger an animated shape with the same color (RGorB).

iam trying to get my head around how this can be accomplished... its been awhile since i have done anything that makes sense.

many bad 3D habits have been formed over the last couple years using other software ;)

THANKS...

mike C.

greetings!

i need to detect random particle color values (RGB) as they collide with an object.. this in turn will trigger an animated shape with the same color (RGorB).

iam trying to get my head around how this can be accomplished... its been awhile since i have done anything that makes sense.

many bad 3D habits have been formed over the last couple years using other software  ;)

THANKS...

mike C.

27537[/snapback]

Hi.

in the help file, check collision POPs examples:

====

$HFS/demo/helpcards/pop/collision/POP_EXAMPLE_collision_HitColor.cmd

--------

This network demonstrates how the Collision POP can be used to tranfer attributes, color in this case, from the collision geometry to the particles that come in contact with that geometry.

A Color POP is used to actually apply the color, as RGB values, to the collided particles.

--------------------------

or if you need from particles to geometry then you will use "attribtransfer" SOP :)

Val

Two years is an eternity with Houdini these days.

- Use DOPs. Try putting your particle system inside a DOP network. Holy crow does this give you killer control over your particles! Scarey. You get instanced geometry collisions with other identified RBD objects. Fast too!

Try out the SOP solver as well. Nice control over SOP recursion. If I need to make a SOP network behave sim-like, I turn to the SOP solver to get the job done.

- Use Point Clouds. Iterating over nearest points is blazing fast and very efficient with correctly written vex. Scatter SOP too. Scatter points on the collision surface and you can even get averaged results for smoother behaviour.

Requires you to manage the point clouds as files but the op: syntax can be used to reference other SOPs. POPs supports point clouds as well. The point clouds can also be used in mantra to serve double duty there.

- Attribute Transfer. Already an old-school SOP and it's only a couple years old. It seems like it's been there forever.

That should keep you busy for quite some time. :)

Hi.

in the help file, check collision POPs examples:

====

$HFS/demo/helpcards/pop/collision/POP_EXAMPLE_collision_HitColor.cmd

--------

This network demonstrates how the Collision POP can be used to tranfer attributes, color in this case, from the collision geometry to the particles that come in contact with that geometry.

A Color POP is used to actually apply the color, as RGB values, to the collided particles.

--------------------------

or if you need from particles to geometry then you will use "attribtransfer" SOP :)

Val

27539[/snapback]

hey val, thanks... i was checking out that demo. its deffinately doing something similar.

what id like to find out is what to do after the particle collides (in my simulation the particle doesnt die, just sticks... exactly what i want it to do).

the particle hits will be random, so the event will be solely dependant on collisions..

hopefully that made sense. :)

hey old school, thanks for the suggestions... DOPs looks rad, im pretty stoked about the possiblities..

iam all for experimenting but on a bit of a deadline :D id like to use what i understand currently.

suprisingly i just started using the software again a few days ago and remembered quite a bit. im just kind of at a loss at the moment :)