Stop Dominos From Sliding

aracid

hey all

Im trying to get dominos to fall, sounds basic ;)

i get the speed and weight really looking good until the fallen dominos start moving slightly, just enough to pop out.

anyone here got an idea on how to make these things stand still once fallen?

i was thinking some sort of minimum threshold in DOPS?

im not too fimiliar with DOPS, I would think that there is some way that i can get certain points on my RBD POINT OBJECTS to deactivate after a certain period or to stick?

thanks in advance

brian

dominoes_SH_05_dops_v6.rar

A few notes on this:

First, you can speed this up a lot by setting all the contact passes and substep values in the RBD Solver back to their defaults, and instead go to the Collisions tab, Surface subtab of each RBD Point Object node and setting the Surface Representation to Edges. This resolves penetrations in cubes and cube-like objects without all the extra steps.

Second, you can get the dominos to lie still after they fall by checking for their angle of rotation, and setting those that have fallen to inactive. Or even better, you can use Houdini 8.1, which has the RBD Auto Freeze node in it, which will do this for you.

Third, you have your preferences set such that each of your dominos is nearly 200 meters high, and weighs about 15 kilos. Is that really what you want?

Finally, domino sims are deceptive - they aren't as simple as they seem. You can optimize them a lot by grouping together only about 10 dominos, and as they fall putting new ones into the group and removing the fallen ones. Then only solve for the ones in the group. That way, you are only comparing 10 dominos to each other, not 120 as you have now.

Well I'm at 74 and still a peon.  If, after this post, I am no longer a peon, then it's 75.  Otherwise, it's probably something higher.

28212[/snapback]

Yeah, the posts are weigthed by sheer number of posts, not by their content. Sorry crunch. It's like politics.

Hi,

I just wanted to pitch in and say that you're right, dominos aren't as easy as they look. I'm also working on dominos right now. Your thread's incredibly helpful. Thanks!

And on the peon thing... so it's quantity over quality? :P

I'm relatively new to this forum, so I'm a bit afraid to say anything dumb. Maybe it's safe to keep my number low for a while.

Looks like a hack to me.

If you look up the characters, it translates to a URL. Since it was posted by someone who joined today, I suspect it would be a bad idea to point your browser there, especially if you were running Windows.