Custom Particle Attribute

djiki

How to create custom particle attribute?

I have mesh sphere (with ie. 20 points) and it is used as source for particle emision. Particles are emmited from points. I want to create my particle's attribute ie. SRCPOINTINDEX which would contains source point index for emited particle.

The goal I want to reach is to create groups of particles emmited from the same point. In my example I want 20 groups (one group for every point on primitive) and each group contains particles emmited from the point it represents.

Can I do that on this way and how? Does someone know better aproach?

Thanks

You don't have to create a custom attribute as the Source POP has what you're looking for. Go to the Add Attributes tab, turn on Add Origin Attribute and leave the Use as Origin as default. Now, your particles have an Origin attribute which contain the point number they were birthed from.

Cheers!

steven

Thanks, I didn't know origin attribute is actually point index.

I haven't houdini installed on this machine and i can not try it at this moment but I'll try it tonignt

I suppose now I can sort particles in every group by their age from the youngest to the oldest. And after that make curve crrossing through all particle in single group.

I want to get effect similar to hair.

Is it possible to define curve on that way?

thanks again,

djiki

I tried grouping last night and it works fine.

Thanks for the link, I read that thread and it makes me little confused because some people point to completly different tasks.

The only valuable thing is what pbowmar and jeff are told. I will try it tonignt.

If I understand, Add SOP will alow me to generate geometry from particles point?

L-system can not be used in my case because it can not handle collisions with other objects on scene while growing (as I know)

Thanks again,

djiki