Stormy Lanscape Sequence

zoki

Thanks guys

yep this is straight out of mantra all was done in one day

there is no painted elements in all is cg and no compositing tweaks

I am quite happy with result

I will try to compose it in Houdini and make a movie out of it

z

I remember when one from ILM said something like that: if something looks good on still doesn't meant that animation will be good.

Sorry Zoki  :ph34r:

28695[/snapback]

what are you talking about man?

If you think something isn't working , give him a suggestion and critique.

You don't need to bring up some unknown quote from ILM.

Way to put down fellow artist work . :rolleyes:

This is nice but it seems to lack a good sense of scale. It might be the compression of the movie file but it seems to get blurry at the horizon and this is reading to me like a short Depth Of Field. I'm not sure how you're doing the atmospheric haze but you might want to consider checking out using exponential fog.

Exponential Fog

thanks guys

this is all done with very low setings

but of course this is not meant to be excuse for bad rendering/lighting :unsure:

I am doing now other clouds scene where I try to come as close as posible to real clouds

Jason:

I am using vex zdepth fog for distance and there was also dof on horizon but sampling in mantra was very low

I will try to use this exp. fog also!

Can you guys tell me please what would be the best strategy for animating clouds growth and transformation- over geometry instanced with metaballs

or through particles and metaballs?

altbighead: thanks man! :wacko:

thanks

z

Hi Zoki,

Overall I like it, but there are some minor things you could quickly enhance.

You almost got the climate in the still, the animation looses it a bit.

Jason is right about the scale, it seems like you are focusing on some non existent subject close to the camera, therefore I felt a bit concerned instead of focused on the depth of your landscape.

Try using much lower blur and achieve the persective feeling with a slight haze. Blur is misleading since there is nothing in the forground.

Also I expect such scenery to convey a bit doomed and dark feelings, uncertainity, but the clouds are moving very chaotically and the light is distracting. You could try lowering their speed to make them more monumental and align their movement directions. Also to add depth you could use forced paralax, the clouds in the forground should move faster than the background ones.

Dont you dare to touch the colours though, they're great! ;)

Good work, keep it on!