Blowing Up A Wall In Dops

DGrubb

Hi

I have started doing some simple tests for blowing up a building. I am simply trying to blow up a prefractured brick wall. Something I hadn't considered is how to actually simulate the force of the explosion affecting the wall! I tried animating the scale of a sphere rapidly, and using that as an RBD object next to the RBDfractured object of the wall, but as soon as the sphere expands to come in contact with the wall the pieces it intersects dissapear as opposed to being blown away.

Do I have to slow the speed of the expansion or do I need to tweak accuracy settings in my solver?

Thanks for any help :D

Generally (and I'm sorry I don't have time to build an example) you could/would do this by adding some kind of force (fan or uniform or whatever) and then animating the strength of the force to simulate an explosion. So it would get really big very quickly, then die down. Don't forget to turn on the "Set Always" flag on the force value in order to have it animate.

The other good choice is a Magnet Force, because you can shape the charge, so to speak. Then you animate the position and/or strength of the magnet(s).

I am simply trying to blow up a prefractured brick wall

28811[/snapback]

btw you may check the ODE solver for tasks like blowing up a wall, as DOPs are more suited, imo, for more accurate and less massive stuff than hundreds of bricks.