Hot Build For 8.1

eloop

Hi all,

I've put new builds of the Ocean Toolkit up on the on the odWiki page to support 8.1.655. It's only had light testing, so yell if you run into problems.

Note: there does seem to be something wrong with the 8.1 version of the included Cleave SOP. Stu's seen it and we'll post an updated version when he works out what's going on.

Houdini Ocean Toolkit

-Drew

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
Hi all,

I've put new builds of the Ocean Toolkit up on the on the odWiki page to support 8.1.655. It's only had light testing, so yell if you run into problems.

Note: there does seem to be something wrong with the 8.1 version of the included Cleave SOP. Stu's seen it and we'll post an updated version when he works out what's going on.

Houdini Ocean Toolkit

-Drew

Hi Drew,

Just found out about your Ocean Toolkit

Will it run with 8.1.666 ?

It doesn't look like any of the exact versions you have on your wiki are on the Sidefx download page anymore :(

... And the HOT_8_1_655_0.8_win32.zip doesn't seem to like 8.1.746 ;) (crash when creating an Ocean SOP).

Any new builds on the "horizon" ? :)

In the meantime if you or anyone can point me towards alternative tips / solutions for creating water-vessel wake(s), that would be great.

Mike

Your wish is my command, see the odWiki page :)

Re: wakes, some Digital Domain people gave an interesting talk at Siggraph this year where they used simple distorted displacement maps stamped behind the boats, with the shape of the trail being communicated to shaders as splines, defining uv regions that could be evaluated at rendertime. If I ever had time it'd be fun to try and reproduce it. They used the technique because they had huge flotillas of boats that they had to render at the same time. Maybe someone from DD would like to say something more about this ?

Hi Drew,

Just found out about your Ocean Toolkit

Will it run with 8.1.666 ?

It doesn't look like any of the exact versions you have on your wiki are on the Sidefx download page anymore :(

... And the HOT_8_1_655_0.8_win32.zip doesn't seem to like 8.1.746 ;) (crash when creating an Ocean SOP).

Any new builds on the "horizon" ? :)

In the meantime if you or anyone can point me towards alternative tips / solutions for creating water-vessel wake(s), that would be great.

Mike

Re: wakes, some Digital Domain people gave an interesting talk at Siggraph this year where they used simple distorted displacement maps stamped behind the boats, with the shape of the trail being communicated to shaders as splines, defining uv regions that could be evaluated at rendertime. If I ever had time it'd be fun to try and reproduce it. They used the technique because they had huge flotillas of boats that they had to render at the same time. Maybe someone from DD would like to say something more about this ?

Hi, yes we used a trail SOP to generate trails behind the boats. The information about the shape of the trail, along with information about the speed and shape of the boat was stored in a single point per boat trail per frame. That point cloud was then fed to the shader that used a pciterate loop to look for wakes. If a point was found we read the information from the point and created a spline based UV-space based on the original trail. This uv space was then used to guide a procedural foam shader and also to map a static wake displacement texture onto the ocean surface.

It all works pretty well if the boat doesn't slow down too much in the same shot.

Um that's great ;) would it be terribly difficult to build it for 8.1.746 ? :) Otherwise I'll go re-install .704 .... Are your dll's even going to work with the Apprentice Version of Houding ?

I just tried running your .704 with .746 and it crashed when opening the simple.hip (1548: fatal error illegal instruction) ... I don't have an SSE processor, does that have anything to do with it ? ... or is just the mismatch in HOT (.704) vs my install (.746) ?

Well I have the time, but not the knowledge (yet anyway :) All I need to learn is how to make :

- "a simple distorted displacement map"

- how to stamp them

- how to communicate the shape of the trail to the shader as splines, defining uv regions

:) :)

Mike

Hi, yes we used a trail SOP to generate trails behind the boats. The information about the shape of the trail, along with information about the speed and shape of the boat was stored in a single point per boat trail per frame. That point cloud was then fed to the shader that used a pciterate loop to look for wakes. If a point was found we read the information from the point and created a spline based UV-space based on the original trail. This uv space was then used to guide a procedural foam shader and also to map a static wake displacement texture onto the ocean surface.

It all works pretty well if the boat doesn't slow down too much in the same shot.

Oooh you're such a tease !

Why don't you release a "BoatWake SOP / toolkit" :rolleyes: ? ... seriously, a non-commericial version even with a watermark (lol watermark on a 'water' sop) would be great.

While the "hacker" part of my personality is very interested in knowing how that all works, my "artist" personality just wants to plug in a "boat-wake" component into the scene :blink:

Did you guys 1)research the actual hydrodynamics, or 2)just go to a marina and take some reference footage of boats driving around and then "artistically" recreate what you saw ? :) Option 2 is probably easier ??? I imagine, though at this point either look about the same in complexity to me :)

I do know how to add a trail SOP though :) Does that qualify me for an internship at your company ? :D

Mike

Considering the work was done for a commercial project, I highly doubt that they'll be releasing something anytime soon :).

M

Ya, well it never hurts to ask :)

Maybe someone here can put something together using the clues Marten has given ? :)

I'm working on step 1 - learning about the trail SOP :)

Mike

HOT will definitely work with the Apprenctice version, but you can generally assume it has to be used on the same version it was compiled for. Re: compiling for 8.1.746, that's a daily build and I don't have time to do cover those I'm afraid. I am trying to keep up with the production builds.

Since you have the time you could try compiling them yourself :-) You will need the C++ compiler from MS Visual Studio 2003.

-Drew

Um that's great ;) would it be terribly difficult to build it for 8.1.746 ? :) Otherwise I'll go re-install .704 .... Are your dll's even going to work with the Apprentice Version of Houding ?

Mike

HOT will definitely work with the Apprenctice version, but you can generally assume it has to be used on the same version it was compiled for. Re: compiling for 8.1.746, that's a daily build and I don't have time to do cover those I'm afraid. I'm am trying to keep up with the production builds.

Since you have the time you could try compiling them yourself :-) You will need the C++ compiler from MS Visual Studio 2003.

-Drew

Drew.

Ok, no problem thanks again for building the .704 version, I'm downloading .704 now , glad to hear that it should work with the app. version.

As for compiling it myself, I may attempt that, but it will probably be almost as difficult as figuring out Marten's water stuff ;) .... I've dealt with trying to setup compiler environments before and with medium to large software projects. It's always amazing when they compile cleanly :P

Mike

I've installed Houdini .704

Houdini crashes when opening the simple.hip (1548: fatal error illegal instruction)

Same thing when I start with a new file, add the Ocean SOP, click on the SOP network "tile"

... I don't have an SSE processor, does that have anything to do with it ?

If so, maybe I'm going to have to compile it myself after all (can it be built without SSE ? ... if that's the problem? ...

Mike

It probably is a problem with the lack of SSE. I'll need to look into this. The bit that has the dependancy is the FFTW library that I link to, which does take advantage of SIMD instruction sets. Out of interest, what processor are you using ?

-Drew

I've installed Houdini .704

Houdini crashes when opening the simple.hip (1548: fatal error illegal instruction)

Same thing when I start with a new file, add the Ocean SOP, click on the SOP network "tile"

... I don't have an SSE processor, does that have anything to do with it ?

If so, maybe I'm going to have to compile it myself after all (can it be built without SSE ? ... if that's the problem? ...

Mike

It probably is a problem with the lack of SSE. I'll need to look into this. The bit that has the dependancy is the FFTW library that I link to, which does take advantage of SIMD instruction sets. Out of interest, what processor are you using ?

-Drew

That's what it looks like .. ARggh <_<

Windoze control panel reports an AMD Athlon 1.2g

I don't expect you to rebuild it for my "ancient" processor (but be my guest if you wish :) ).

I downloaded the other components and I'm going to try building it with MingW.

If you can give me any tips on where (if at all) there are compiler flags to disable the SIMD instructions that would be great. I'll look into it as well.

You wouldn't have happened to compile the 'iwave_paint' example in Tessendorf's 'Simulating Ocean Water' would you ? :)

Mike

Oooh you're such a tease !

Why don't you release a "BoatWake SOP / toolkit" :rolleyes: ? ... seriously, a non-commericial version even with a watermark (lol watermark on a 'water' sop) would be great.

While the "hacker" part of my personality is very interested in knowing how that all works, my "artist" personality just wants to plug in a "boat-wake" component into the scene :blink:

Did you guys 1)research the actual hydrodynamics, or 2)just go to a marina and take some reference footage of boats driving around and then "artistically" recreate what you saw ? :) Option 2 is probably easier ??? I imagine, though at this point either look about the same in complexity to me :)

I do know how to add a trail SOP though :) Does that qualify me for an internship at your company ? :D

Mike

For the foam patterns the boats create and leave behind we just looked at reference photos and matched them with noise patterns. The wake maps used for displacement were generated with something similar to this: http://www.math.ubc.ca/~cass/courses/m309-...en/Mainpage.htm

I attached an example map if anyone wants to play around with it.

Here is an article about foam and wake patterns that is interesting to read: http://www.steelnavy.com/WavePatterns.htm

Hope it helps :)

post-1707-1161217825_thumb.jpg

For the foam patterns the boats create and leave behind we just looked at reference photos and matched them with noise patterns. The wake maps used for displacement were generated with something similar to this: http://www.math.ubc.ca/~cass/courses/m309-...en/Mainpage.htm

I attached an example map if anyone wants to play around with it.

Here is an article about foam and wake patterns that is interesting to read: http://www.steelnavy.com/WavePatterns.htm

Hope it helps :)

Thanks for the info and links ! :)

Mike